Twelve

Y/N woke up to the soft sensation of Nico's lips lightly pressed against hers. He didn't know she was awake though, because his eyes were shut as he was savoring the moment. Her hands cupped his cheeks and she slowly pushed him away, saying "Good morning."
"Good morning to you too Y/N."

"So," she clapped her hands together, rubbing them and looking at the sky, watching as birds flew freely overhead and sang. She looked down at Nico, who towered over her as she sat cross-legged before him. "What's on the menu?"
"Glad you asked," He said, raising two, foil-wrapped sandwiches. "It's marmalade." He stated bluntly and tossed her one of the sandwiches while she laughed.

"Where do you think we should go today?" He asked.
"Neeks, we're not on a trip you know. We have to get back to camp, and I suggest we do that as soon as possible." She said, taking a bite from her sandwich.
"I know, I was asking in which direction to go."
She laughed sarcastically, "And why would you ask me?" She raised an eyebrow. "A girl."

He chuckled, "I know where I want to go, or at least, I think I know in which way we should be headed, but Jason mentioned to me that I should always give the choice to you."

She paused for a moment, thoughtful, then finally suggested: "I think we should climb up a tree and check our surroundings, that's probably the safest idea."
"Right."

They hurriedly finished their early day snacks, pulling a joke or two, that were pretty lame, and it went something like this:

Nico: "Why did the skeleton not go to the dance?"
Y/N: "Why?"
Nico: "Because he had, nobody to go with!"
Y/N: "Okay okay okay. What did the blanket say, when it fell off the bed?"
Nico: "What?"
Y/N: "Oh sheet!"

"Dude we're so stupid!"
"No need to remind me."

They both sighed, silencing themselves and listening with thoughtfulness at the birds singing around them. Y/N put her sandwich wrap down and got up, resting her head against the thick trunk of a tree with her arms crossed across her chest.

The sky had cleared up since the night from before, where soft drops of rain had fallen onto their faces, wetting their linked lips, making Nico take his jacket off and hand it to her, but they had been too busy to pay attention, and had fallen asleep under the warm soft rain in each other's arms with their fingers intertwined.

Y/N smiled, remembering how nervous she'd been that night, and she wondered what Nico had felt. The butterflies in her stomach were going crazy. "Nico?" She suddenly piped.
"Mm?" He sounded as he was swallowing his last bite.
She looked down at him, with tired eyes, and he noticed that the shade of happy yellow, had suddenly changed to a dark, purple hue. "How big is your heart?" She asked.

He made a fist and raised it in front of her, still sitting on the grass, "It's this big."
She chuckled and sat down before him, taking his fist in her hand and rubbing her thumb on his soft pale skin, "No Nico," she smiled and looked at him, and he couldn't help but look at those sunset orbs of hers, which seemed like a window to a world which he was not part of. Which belonged only to her, and of which none of its secrets have been told. Not today, not ever.

"How big is your heart?" She inquired again, and her eyes sparkled. It seemed like she was begging for an answer she new she'd never get.

"It's small Y/N."
She smiled a sad smile and tilted her head, trying to hold back her tears. "It's so small, it's barely got any room for anyone else but you. And I'd like to keep it that way."

He grabbed her shoulders and hugged her tightly to his heart, letting her weep into his smooth shirt, and form wrinkles. He whispered into her ear: "What about you?"

He smoothened out the tangles in her hair, and let go of her. "What do you have in your heart? What do you lean on?"
"I have you," her eyes were a stained red now, and their color clearly changed from a dark purple to an ocean blue for a split second before it changed back to the orange sunset, Nico barely had time to notice it. "But I need to make space for others as well."

He smiled and pushed himself up, "We have to get moving." He said, slinging his backpack over his shoulder and taking a few steps to the front, only to look back at her with tears rolling down his eyes,
"Please. I beg you, remember that I vowed to put my life on the line for you."

It was just as he thought. She was his complete opposite. She was the sound in his silence. She was the color in his black and white. She was the passion in his hatred. She was the light in his darkness. And he knew, that, as long as they were together, she'd work 'till her last breath to widen his heart, so it could be like her's.

 And he knew, that, as long as they were together, she'd work 'till her last breath to widen his heart, so it could be like her's