Thrirteen

They walked for what felt like hours, but Y/N knew it had been just minutes since they had left their safe spot (A/N: I DONT KNOW HOW THIS WORKS JUST BARE WITH THE DESCRIPTION PLS.) and went wandering through the woods, ready to find camp.

It seemed as though Nico had forgotten their strategy, that he was distracted, and this made Y/N feel jittery. She grabbed a nearby branched and slung herself up a tree.

Once she reached the very top, she could hear Nico calling out for her below. "I'm up here!" She yelled out into the wind. She looked around, and all she could see were trees, nothing out of the ordinary.

Suddenly an arrow flew at her, and all she could process was the pain in her shoulder before collapsing.

Nico looked up as he heard branches twisting above him, and saw the dark figure of Y/N motionlessly drop a few feet away from him. "Y/N!"
She lifted her sight to look at him, helpless, and faintly warned, "Behind you."
"Huh?" He lifted his sword just as another one approached his neck and they collided, sending a deafening scream of metal against metal through the forest. He turned his gaze for it to meet those of a deadly man.

He seemed hungry, thirsty for blood. Their swords clashed in sync and Nico couldn't read the pattern of the guy's movements because of how fast he was going. His posture seemed familiar though, his eyes, Nico knew them from somewhere, but where? He shook his head.

Concentrate! He yelled at himself.

From the corner of his eye, he could catch a glimpse of Y/N's situation. If he didn't act fast, it would be the end for both of them. They were weak, hungry and tired. They hadn't rested properly for days now, and they were frustrated. So, one could say, they weren't in the best condition for battle, especially not a surprise ambush like this one.

Another dark figure silently approached behind Y/N and lifted her up by grabbing her long hair, pulling her body before him and slung his sword right through her flesh.

Y/N's sight got blurry and blood trickled from her blue lips. She looked around, trying to find something, anything to help her out of this dire situation. She tried to grip the sword and push it back out, but of course, the blood was too slippery for a strong grasp. Her arms fell to her sides, and her head hung limp.

"Y/N!" Nico's face was green from the effort, and the distraction caused him to loose his balance.
"Looking away from you opponent is not a smart move Nicholas. You should know that by now." The man looming over him laughed, his sword tip by Nico's throat.
"Who the hell are you?" The boy cringed as the sword pierced through his pale skin, and his voice cracked.
"Your ghost."

Y/N's consciousness was slipping away, and her eyes were fluttering, struggling to keep her awake. She felt her pulse coming to a stop, but she caught the fading shape of a dagger by the hip of the man murdering her. With all her remaining strength, she snatched the dagger away and sliced through her hair, surging forward and escaping the sword.

She ran for Nico, who was on the ground. His eyes were closed and she could see his chest barely rising and falling. She grabbed his sword and slashed at the male who had attacked him, cutting through his chest, making him trip, and pressed the dark, cool metal against his heart, "W-Who are you?"
"Your demon."

Filled with a new energy, she slashed the sword back out and skidded towards the male who had stabbed her, who had just enough time to block her sword from sliding cleanly through his neck. She jumped and flipped in mid-air, for the cool metal of her leg to meet the ugly face of... Lets call him Roberto.

He collapsed from the strong impact. He was petrified. The dagger she had held was poisoned. She was supposed to faint from the pain, so why was that not happening now?

Y/N's hand throbbed and she dropped the sword. She clutched it tightly and opened her palm to see what had happened. The poison was eating away her skin, giving it a purple color with sparks of fire. What was this?!

As soon as she realized what had happened, Roberto started laughing humorlessly, and she slammed her foot into his throat, shutting him up for good, and her body fell on the soft bed of grass.