Sixteen

Y/N woke up to the soft sound of gentle and steady fine drops of water drizzling from the cool ceiling into a forming pond on the roughly carved floor.

She moved her head and her eyes spun, making her drowsy. She attempted to get up and move forward but something around her wrists prevented her from doing so. Slowly and sleepily, her still blurry vision took a look at the chilling metal around her pale wrists.

She wore chains.

She was chained to a wall, most likely at the back of the dark room. She looked around. There were two dull lamps hung at the end of each side of the room, which seemed to be a mere cube, and she was chained at the farthest corner, away from what seemed to be a barred door. She was in a cell.

She looked down. Her clothes had been taken, and replaced by a black, loose, zip-up jumpsuit. She was barefoot, and the metal of her leg scrapped against the floor.

She tried to think back to the last time she was awake but remembered nothing. Where she was, who she was with, it was all a black void.

She pulled at the chains, but she knew it was hopeless, her strength had been drained.

•~•~•

"It's good to have you back son." Sang James, reeking of alcohol, with a cup of white wine in his hand, while patting Nico in the back and lacing his arm around his shoulders, leaning back for support.

Nico laughed nervously, "How much did you have to drink Dad?"
"Eh?!" Breathed James onto Nico's neck, clumsy on his steps and bumping into people as they made their way to the throne room, where people danced and sang in celebration of Nico's successful assignment and safe return, "This is yet my first cup!"

Nico carried James the rest of the way and dropped him on his chair, "Come on son! Drink!"
Nico pushed the cup away, "I'd prefer to stay sober for the rest of my life, thank you. I think you're drinking enough for both of us."
"Bah! Nonsense! You brought that filthy girl where she belongs! You've no more training to attend. You're ready son!"
"To what?"
"To take the kingdom!"

Nico almost choked on his breath. Willow raced at him from the entrance to the hallway and jumped forcefully into his arms, as Willson came strolling after her. Apparently they were both knowledgeable about this, "Isn't it great Neeks?!" Shrieked Willow in his ear, tracing her fingers up and down his torso, Willson looking at his sister in shame and disgust, then sharing a look of sympathy with his best friend.

"W-What?" Nico breathed, "No-"
"Yes! You'll be the King and I'll be your Queen! It's a perfect ending!"
"Now Willow," Started Willson.

Nico gripped Willow's wrists angrily and pulled them away from his body. He looked at her gravely "Don't touch me, rat." His eyes darker than the night itself.

He threw the girl at her brother and stormed out the throne room, the earth cracking beneath his feet.

"Neeks!" Wined Willow, starting after him as her brother held her back.
"Don't call me that!" His voice bounced against the marble walls, alerting the guests that something had occurred, and they all gathered to the throne room to find a large crevice decorating the once astonishing mosaic on the ground, a foul smell erupting from it, with yowls and screeches sounding from the obvious dead.

James's knuckles turned white as he grabbed the arms of his chair and sharply stood up, his voice clear, sweat trickling down his temples, all but Willson blind to the drops, "You are all dismissed."

The crowed dispersed, with whispers in worried voices being shared amongst the people, "Not you Trevor."

Willson turned around and stood up straight, "Yes Sir?"
"Clear that boy's head, he's gotten softer. Remind him what it means to be part of the Midnight family, and to be the heir to its throne."
"Yes Sir."

Willson started on his way back but was stopped abruptly by a heavy hand on his arm, "And tell your little sister to restrain herself. Understood?" Heaved James, struggling to get air into his lungs.
"Yes Sir."

Willow was pushed up against the moist wall, in a dark alley where humidity hung in the warm night air. She whimpered, but stood her ground, "I'm getting in trouble because of you, Sis," hissed Willson.
"I can't help it," she sang, twirling her hair "I love him."
His fist was millimeters from her face at this point, "Say that again and I'll give you a back eye, you don't love him, you just want him for your own benefit. You want the glory that comes with being a Queen."
She just hummed an annoyingly familiar tune his mom used to sing at times she was happy.

"Just, stay out of his way you pest."
"Okay dear brother~!"

He turned away and began making his way to the palace, but heard yells coming from the prison's basement, and changed his route to investigate.