Welcome to Oak Park High

Jake

My name is Jake Reynolds. I am 17 years old and was born and raised in the diverse city of Vancouver. The city was thriving with people from different parts of the world. But me? I'm Canadian. We kept ourselves to ourselves in that city. My family consisted of me, my brother Tom, who is 19, and my Mum. Our Dad left us when we were both very young.

Mum just got a new job in Toronto so we had to move there to make her Journey to work easier. I didn't mind it to be honest. Toronto seemed like a nicer city to live in. The only thing that I wasn't looking forward to was going to school. I had only been in my old school for a year when we had to leave. I just know that making new friends in this school is going to be harder. Everyone will probably have their friend groups already formed.

Oh by the way, just thought I'd let you know that I'm gay :). I thought that might be an important detail. I've never really had a proper boyfriend before. I was always too closed in my old school. No one else knows I'm gay either. Not even my family. It's been hard for me to keep that secret. My old friends would always be talking about girls and I had to play along like I was interested too.

--------

Today is going to be my first day at my new school and I'm so nervous. I could tell Tom was too as he hadn't really said much this morning. "Are you nearly ready, Jake?" My mum shouted up the stairs.
"I'm coming now mum!" I replied. I buttoned up my red shirt as I started walking downstairs. Tom was already sat at the table eating his breakfast. "Morning bro" he said to me. I nodded my head at him as if to acknowledge him. "Ready for our first day?" He asked.
"No, but I'm gonna have to be aren't I? It's so much easier for you because you're older"
"You'll be fine. You're good at making friends anyway. And if you don't, come find me and I'll spend lunch with you. Okay?" He said trying to comfort me.
"Thanks man" I didn't eat breakfast as the nervous emotions overpowered the hunger pains. "Come on the boys. Don't want to be late for your first day!" Mum said trying to crack a joke. Haha. So funny. We both grabbed our school bags and headed for the car.

The journey there was silent except for the radio playing a mix of current pop songs that they play about 15 times a day... every day. Upon arriving at the school I could see that the grounds were full of people. Many of them grouped in different sections of the school. There seemed to be your usual groups. The nerdy group, the middle groups and he popular groups. Hopefully I can get in a popular group one day. But for now let's just concentrate on getting into the school.

Tom walked off to the upper section of the school as that was where the higher years studied. Walking up to the school gates was daunting to say the least. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I just hope that the kids here like me. I looked around for the office area and spotted it on the left side of the school. There was a big sign above the door that read

Welcome to Oak Park High.
All visitors and guests must report to office

I guess that means me then. I walked under the sign into the office. "Hi there, can I help you?" A voice said from behind a tall desk. As I got closer to the desk I could see a small woman with glasses peering over the top. "Hi. It's my first day here and was told to come here." I mumbled nervously.
"Ah yes. You must be Jake. It's a pleasure to have you here." The woman said with a huge grin on her face. "I'm just going to go get your timetable now. We don't want you being late for your first lesson."
She sounds like my mum...
"If you come back here after your first lesson I will find someone to show you around the school." The woman called back at me from the printer.
"Okay, that sounds nice." I reply.
"Okay here is your timetable. Your first lesson is English"
"Would you be able to show me where my classroom is?" I ask.
"Of course dear . Turn left out of this door and it is the third door on your right. Room 57." She said while creating abstract shapes with her hands in an attempt to give me directions.
"Thanks" I walk off to find my classroom.

English wasn't that bad. I sat next to some guy called Bruno. He didn't say a word to me :(. I guess because I'm new but he also seemed pretty awkward too. But now it was time to go back to the office to get a tour of the place. I hope it's not going to be another student that guides me. That would probably be pretty awkward. I followed the signs back to the office and pushed through the doors.
"I'm back for the tour" I said with a smile on my face.
"Hi again Jake. Of course. We've got another student to give you a tour of the school as our teachers are all very busy right now." She said trying to not look stressed out. Great. A student. "I'll just go get him now." I sat down for a couple of minutes while I waited for my 'tour guide' to arrive. A minute later, the office doors burst open and the secretary walks in. "Here you go Jake" she says turning around. Behind her was a tall guy with brown hair and a somewhat muscly build. He's cute :).
I reach my hand out to shake his. "I'm Jake." I said, nearly stuttering on my words. He shakes my hand.
"Hi, I'm Shawn".

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I bet you were wondering where Shawn was ;).
Jake seems to be slowly settling in to the school okay. But now there's a cute guy on the scene ;) ;)

Hope you liked my first chapter. Let me know what you thought of it in the comments. I would love to hear your feedback.

See you in the next chapter!
- D