Chapter 8

I got myself ready for dinner and locked my apartment. Of course, I was all set with my safety and my handbag.

"Welcome dear. Come in," said Anne as she opened the door.

Thank God, I didn't have Harry or Kendall welcome me with sour faces.

"Everybody's just getting ready for dinner. The food is ready too, so come let's go to the dining room," said Mrs. Styles and led me to the dining room.

I must say she had actually put in a lot of effort for the dinner. The entire room was filled with an amazing aura, the dining table was beautifully laid.

"I must say Mrs. Styles this is really beautiful and it's extremely kind of you to invite me over," I said.
"Ah! Don't be so formal with me. Come take a seat," said Anne as she pulled out a chair for me.

I sat there and looked around waiting for others to come. Anne sat next to the head chair. After patiently waiting for a while I heard a few footsteps approaching the dining hall.

"Hey mo--" said Harry who stopped in the middle when he saw me... he was taken aback!
"What is she doing here?" He said angrily to his mother.
"You didn't tell him?" I asked Anne

Anne was quite embarrassed by the questions that were fired on her.

"Taylor I am sorry," she began. "And Harry, you come and sit here," she said pointing at a chair placed across me. Harry made an angry face and sat in front of me giving me the 'go away' looks.

"Tayloooor!" I turned around and saw Niall running towards me screaming my name... seems like he was the only person who was genuinely happy to have me there. Niall gave me a high five and sat next to me. What I failed to notice was a tall man who came inside and sat on the head's chair... that of course was Mr. Des.

"Taylor...this is my husband Mr. Des Styles," said Anne.
"I'm so sorry I didn't see you coming but it's a pleasure meeting you Mr. Des," I said.
"Pleasure's all mine," he said with a gentleman smile on his face.
"I must tell you that Des was super excited to meet you," said Anne.

I pretended to blush a little while I caught Harry rolling his eyes.
"So if you're over with all the appreciation can we begin our dinner? I Am hungry!" Said Harry gritting his teeth.
"Ah! Sure... Niall,please serve the dinner," said Anne.

I must confess that her sweet Lady act was getting a bit too much for me to swallow after all I knew what a monster she was.

After we finished with the dinner, Anne asked me how the dinner was to which I replied with a sweet smile, "It was fabulous. I must say that you're very lucky to have such tasty food cooked at home."

"Yes. That's true, Anne is a fabulous cook," said Mr. Des praising his wife.
"Oh! there's nothing like that," Anne replied pretending to sound modest.
"So Taylor when's your project getting over?" Asked Anne.
"Sorry?" I replied.
"That school project, that you were talking about," she said clarifying her statement.
"Oh...that -- um -- I - I" I stammered.

I had no idea that such a question would be coming up and I felt caught.
"What happened seems like you're trying to come up with an excuse," Harry said sharply.

My jaw flexed at that moment and I fiddled with my hand... this was definitely the worst moment for me as a detective.

"Harry mind yourself," said Mr. Styles.
"I'm sorry, I lied to you Mrs. Styles," I said trying to come up with a story.
"Lied to me?" Said Mrs. Styles with her mouth agape.
"Yes... I-- I don't go to school!" Shoot! I said it, but quickly got back my senses and made up a story. "I'm sorry for that," I spoke softly.

"But dear what's--- I.." Mrs.Styles I couldn't finish her sentence. I guess she was at a loss for words.
"Mrs. Styles I am so sorry, but I don't think I can stay here anymore... thank you for everything," I smiled inwardly because I've been able to pull up a perfect end and walked out.