Chapter 10

"There's really no need for that," Harry paused and then said, "Alison?"
"Yeah."
"Why don't you go to school?"
"Well, I don't have enough money to afford school fee," I lied.
"What?"
"Yeah... Look, I don't wanna burden my guardian with everything, so I excused school after 16."

"I see, but what about your friends... I mean, don't they tell you to join the school... like didn't they offer any help."
"I... I don't have any friends," I said and yes this was actually the truth.

"Must feel bad."
"You don't have a clue."
"Actually I do," Harry said.

I raised an eyebrow at him asking for explanation.
"Well..." he started, "I used to have many friends, but something happened and from that day onwards nothing's the same."

I could read Harry's face. There was a flashback going on in his mind right now and he was actually not lying, but what was it he was talking about? Is it connected to their crime life?

"Alison," Harry said and I snapped out of my thoughts, "Can we be friends?"

Friends? Was he trying to trick me or what because at the moment he is a criminal and I am a detective and we definitely cannot be friends, but what if he is asking me to be his friend genuinely? What if he's just too tired of his life and just because he is able to relate to me, he wants to be my friend? I don't know.

"Okay," I said simply and shake his hand.

Back home while I was putting all the events in black and white... something struck my mind. I remembered Niall telling me that one day Harry came and everything changed. Changed was it the same day Harry was talking about? But what could've happened?

Suddenly I'm starting to feel like even Harry is on the same side as Niall - 'a victim of situation.'