15 - Staring

"Mr. Taggerty says you stopped taking out his trash. Is that true?"

Andrew's mother was not styling hair today—which was odd. Instead, she was doing an awful round of staring at Andrew. Staring in ways that felt like reading.

Andrew performed his shrug, blazing through his Wheaties with record speed. He was going to tear up the cereal box and feed it to Lithe.

"He hasn't had it easy, you know. He lost first his wife, then years later his daughter. Then diabetes took his foot. He needs our help."

Andrew couldn't be bothered with this information. However, being a boy of new genius he knew it was wise to respond, else raise further suspicion. "Yes," was all he could manage and by the time that came out he had already forgotten what she'd said.

The silence became dead enough that he looked up to see his mother studying his two bandages, his new red burns which he had tried to cover with long sleeves. He noticed for the first time her blotchy concern.

"I'll get Mr. Taggerty's garbage later," he lied.

"And you'll stop humming that song," his mother said. "It's creepy!"

Andrew wasn't aware he was humming. But there was a sound coming from his throat. When he finally listened, he knew.

It was the inferno chant.