24 - Wet

Fornax's voice boomed from every open window.

"Andrew!" Lithe cried.

He looked down. The paper was blackened, the wood was a shell of ash. In all that running Lithe had exhausted her fuel. She was tiny.

Holding the tray with one hand he raced across the courtyard toward the fire pit. He had to get to the fire pit.

"Where's the sun?" Lithe shouted. "And the trees? I must see them! Please!" she seemed delirious with fear.

Something crashed down from above. A steel antenna from the roof. It stabbed the ground like a thrown javelin, almost slicing them both.

He reached the fire pit, kicked open the grate and felt sick horror.

Oh no, oh no no no!

Tide had come in and seeped through the cracks in the pavement. All the fuel Andrew had carefully placed there was a soggy mess of wood and ash.

He turned from side to side looking for something else to burn, anything!

"Andrew!"

He looked to the trees—sickly thin things, waking up from winter. Their trunks were wet.

He ran, searching desperately. The chair cushions? The rolled up newspapers? The door mat? The Sound had ruined them all.

There was only one choice.

He made for the building.

"No! He won't forgive me!" Lithe shouted.

But Andrew knew it was the only way.

He ran in slow motion, each foot pounding on an endless pavement. There was nothing dry, nothing!