Roberta Hawkins - Client 146

Chapter Two

I took one step after another, heading towards the train station. I couldn't take a cab there because the instructions were clear. The place I was headed could not be revealed to anyone – not even a cab driver.

All through the train ride I thought about the bitch Derek was cheating on me with. According to her they had been together for nine months. That was just one month less than the time we spent together. Who cheats on their girlfriend after just one month of dating? I guess Derek.

I got off the train and walked into the woods. That was what he asked me to do – the handsome stranger who got me to do this in the first place. It took about five minutes for me to see the place he described. I was awed. It didn't feel possible that a place like that would be hidden in the woods and nobody knew about it.

It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Actually, it was a mansion. There were dull lights in the surroundings so people could see their way through but it wasn't bright enough to make the building visible. I guessed it was all in the secrecy stride. No one will make a place secret, only to flood it with lights. That will make it visible from helicopters and surrounding tall buildings.

There was a stone-lined path that led straight to the door. I walked away from the grass and stepped my right foot on the path. That's when I saw them. They must have been resting in the darkness and my footsteps must have scared them. They flew off in different directions, startling me. I had never seen that many bats in the same place in my entire life.

After regaining my composure, I walked straight to the front door. There were several front doors actually, but the one I went to had a sign that said 'Main Entrance'. I closed my eyes for a few minutes and sighed. I had to go in now. There was no going back.