Scary Movie Night

I put the movie into the VCR player and sat down on the couch between Sam and Cas. Sam leaned forward and grabbed the bowl of popcorn from the table and I grabbed the bowl of potato chips. I offered some to Cas and he took a one. He smelled it first and then licked it. I smiled and put a handful into my mouth. He copied with his chip. 

     The movie started with a creepy tone and a little girl sleeping in her bed. Cas's body tensed up and he had a strong hold of my wrist. I shrugged it off and let him do as he pleased. As the movie went on Cas continued to get closer and closer to me. Every time there was a jump scare he would bury his head into my rib cage and peek out after a few seconds to be sure it was gone. 

     Blood splattered across the screen and Cas screamed and jumped into my lap and I laughed and he cried. The movie was over and most of the snacks were gone. I wasn't sure how Cas could be so scared of the "monsters" in the movie. Sam and I sat there pointing out everything the characters did wrong and Cas was scared the whole time. After being with hunters for as long as he had been you would think he could handle a horror movie, but apparently not. 

     Sam got up and started taking care of bowls and snacks as I comforted Cas. "Cas, it's ok. Nothing is going to hurt you." I said and he sobbed into my shoulder again. Between his sobs he replied "I'm not worried about me. We couldn't help that girl." I looked confusedly at him. "What?" I asked with a laugh. Had he not realized it was a movie? "The little girl and her family died, and we couldn't help them." He sobbed again, "What if that monster hurts other people? Will we be able to help them?"

     "Well, Cas, you can't save everyone. It doesn't always work out like that." I rubbed his back. "Besides, Cas, it was just a movie. It didn't really happen." He sniffled and picked his head up. "I know. That situation didn't happen, but I'm sure something like that has happened somewhere and we couldn't help them." He sniffled again. Well, at least he knew it was a movie. 

     Sam appeared in the doorway and smirked and I flipped him off behind Cas's back. He sniffled and said "the poor little girl. She could've lived and her family too, if only we'd been there." I sighed and rubbed his back. Eventually he fell asleep in my lap and I carried him to his bed in the bunker.