vi. Boundaries.

Parth usually found comfort in silence. It gave him the time he needed to reflect upon his thoughts. Allowed him to collect them, sort them and rearrange them. The silence kept him in charge.

But this time, thoughts attacked his dormant mind like stones and each one hit him directly on his self esteem.

'He blames her for my death. Randhir blames her, he thinks Sanyukta did it. They were supposed to be happy, celebrating two years of their marriage.  Welcoming me back together. Instead, they are torn apart. Sanyukta here, taking care of my bills. No doubt it is her who paid my bills. Mom cannot afford it with her meager wages.'

Parth found it hard to look at Sanyukta when he realized it." Had I not pressed that button, maybe everything would be alright"  He said it out loud, part of him selfishly hoping she would shake her head, deny it, offer him comfort.

But she did not. She just looked at him, shaking her head, her lips pressed together firmly, as if to prevent words from escaping.

Parth felt an immense weight on his chest.  'I did this. And Sanyukta is much too polite to call me out on my mistake. I'm going to have to live with his, with her silence. With knowing that she holds me responsible as she should. I'd prefer it if she yelled at me, even hit me. But  this. This is torture.'

"Parth" Sanyukta sighed " It's not just your fault. To an extent, Randhir and I are responsible for it too."

"But both of you are perfect together." Parth protested "And if not for me pressing that button you would still be."

Sanyukta's lips pressed together more tightly. She nodded "But just being perfect for each other doesn't work Parth. Randhir and I failed to trust each other completely. We failed to really understand each other. We failed as a team, as a couple and as friends because both of us put personal issues and interests over empathy and co-operation. It's not something you can take the blame for. Nor can you fix it! Do you understand me Parth? You cannot fix this. If there is any chance for me and Randhir , it will only be if both of us want it, if both of us accept each other. If you are really thankful for all we have done for you, you will let me and Randhir take this decision ourselves. Will you do it for me Parth? For our friendship?" Sanyukta managed to smile despite her tears.

Silence failed him again. It made him awake of the sharp line Sanyukta had now drawn between them.

It also made him aware that he'd meddled too much in Sanyukta and Randhir's love life. He'd  pushed them together before they were really emotionally ready.

And now Sanyukta was asking him to mind his own buisness. Yes, her tone was polite, and nothing she said was mean, rude or insensitive. But it still hurt.

Parth nodded. That was the only thing he could do. To try and keep his promise.

"Good. I'll go and call the rest of the Team. All of them want to meet you." Sanyukta smiled.

The team. Though Randhir won't be there, the rest were waiting for him to wake up.

Yoyo and Sahil. Tanya and Vishad who had become acquintances. His mom. PKC sir.

And her.

"Sanyukta, please do me a favor. Don't tell Vidushi." Parth managed to get the words out

Sanyukta's face paled a little.

Silence. Again. He felt a mixture of disgust and fear and curiosity.

"What did she do again Sanyukta?" Parth shook his head in disbelief.

"She's..Vidushi and Ankit got married the month after the crash." Sanyukta smiled "They settled down in Dubai last year."

Silence.

But this time he did not know how to feel.