Xix. Athena

A/N: It's exam time but I wanted to post this asap. So here you go. More Isha and Sahil bonding with Parth. And a big slip of the tongue.

"Okay" Sahil smiled "So you are related to Isha. That's it?" His tone was even.

Parth hadn't expected a simple one word acceptance.

Heck, he was awaiting a loud "What" and lots of blinking. Some goldfish imitation.

Not this.

Not unconditional acceptance.

And definitely not from anyone he'd known in FITE.

"So, that means Dear Old Namit is your brother and not your cousin as well?" Sahil did something Parth had not seen before. Sahil smirked.

Parth could do nothing but blink. And do a terrible goldfish imitation. Jaw open. Jaw shut. Open. Shut.

Isha snapped her fingers in front of Parth's face to bring him back to the reality outside his confused head.

He looked at her with narrowed eyes "You. What have you done to my innocent friend?"

Isha playfully punched Parth's shoulder "Cured him of his shyness. I miss it sometimes though." She pouted.

"You did it to yourself" Sahil grinned.

Parth blinked.

"I think you broke him." Isha declared.

------------------------------------------

It took Parth 10 minutes to compose himself and look at Sahil like he initially should have, with happiness for his friend's happiness.

Isha focused on drinking her coffee like it was the only thing that mattered . She found Parth's relief at his friend being non judgmental adorable. She looked at Sahil and smiled, proud of the one she loved. The one who was a gentle storm.

Sahil was the one to break the silence, telling Parth about what had happened during the past two years.

Isha excused herself, wanting to give the two of them some much needed time together.

"So then Maya Ma'am took over FITE's Dean post again, and the college is doing great. The newspapers will tell you the same thing. One of my cousins goes there and he thinks it is hilarious to give me weekly updates." Sahil smiled.

"I think that is sweet of him" Parth couldn't help smiling back.

"Please! You haven't met Nihit yet. He's a brat who fancies himself a reporter." Sahil held up his hands. "I'd read you an update but I don't want you to get sick because of his words."

Parth laughed. A real laugh.

That was another thing in his life that was still constant. Sahil, the optimistic friend who often made lowkey sassy comments.

"I'm back. I hope you boys did not gossip about me or there will be hell to pay." Isha sat down beside Sahil and put her arm around his shoulder.

Both of them looked at Parth.

Parth shrugged "What?"

"Whoa. One decent brother who actually respects the fact that you are a grown woman who can take her own decisions. Jackpot Isha!" Isha pumped her fists up in the air.

The teenagers giggled at her.

She stood up "The other brother thinks I'm 12 and I'll catch AIDs or something if I hold hands with my boyfriend." Isha declared.

"Your brother is stupid. The one I who thinks that I mean." The teen girl with the high pony spoke.

"Yeah. Your other brother is cute though." The one with the crop top grinned.

"Sorry girls. Too old for you." Isha winked.

Parth went red.

"Oh man. Isha that was mean. He's only 24." Sahil shook his head.

"You didn't see the way she was looking at him ok." Isha countered.

Parth felt a funny fluttering . A warm feeling. Isha cared about him. Just like he had imagined a sister would.

"I'm not blind Isha. And if Vidushi was here, she'd scratch that poor girl's eyes out." Sahil laughed.

The warmth in Parth's chest turned to a freezing cold.

Vidushi.

Vidushi.

"I like this Vidushi. A girl after my own heart." Isha was not looking at Parth, but at the rather bold teenage girl. "Back off bitch"

Isha turned to Sahil "Who is Vidushi? "

The only answer Isha got was a soft "Excuse me" from Parth, who got up and all but ran to the washroom.

Isha watched and glared at Sahil.

Sahil sighed. He knew that once he'd taken Vidushi's name, Isha would not rest until she'd learnt everything.

"Kataria. You. You are going to tell me everything. Why did Parth react this way?" Isha poked Sahil's chest.

--------------------------------

In the washroom, Parth was trying to drown himself by rinsing his face with cold water.

But the coldness in his chest did not go away.

No. Not coldness. Emptiness.

Now that Sahil had taken her name and said something she would have done, Vidushi was no longer someone Parth could try ignoring. Not anymore.