xii.Hector

A/N:  Hector, as in Hector from Troy. His death always makes me cry everytime I watch the movie. Anyway, This story should probably only have 10-20 chapters left. I hope that it will be fun to read even as it reaches the end.

----------------------------------------------------

It took him three days to unblock the number and press call. All the while hoping that the number was still in use.

The number was engaged. Parth sighed and lay back on the bed. He glared at his phone as if the inanimate object itself was responsible for the situation he was in.

As for his own mobile services, Sanyukta had gone ahead and gotten him a post paid plan for two years.

He had tried to protest but Sanyukta had insisted, saying that it was the least she could do. He had not told her he would be leaving her house yet, for he was sure she would make him stay. And he could not afford to stay in the same house as Vidushi. Not after she had been honest with him. It made him feel guilty.Almost like a hypocrite. He wanted to be honest with her too. But that was impossible. Not now.

He was well enough to sit downstairs for dinner. His observant nature enabled him to see the dynamics of the Agarwal family which were far from perfect He'd heard from Sanyukta that her father preferred Ankit over her. But what he had seen was the opposite. Kishore Agarwal had dominated the dinner table conversations. He'd made a fuss over how little Sanyukta was eating. How Vidushi should not be worried about the maid not coming the next day. They would go out. Vidushi had pointed out that Parth was not well enough to eat outside. Ankit had said they'd make dal chawal for him. Kishore had lashed at his son for being selfish and then proceeded to throw questions about how the work in the office was being handled. Ankit had then turned to Vidushi more than once and answered all the questions with small inputs from her. Mr.Agarwal had commented that Vidushi should join the company and Ankit should stay at home instead. Parth had noticed Ankit's stiff posture and Vidushi's mildly annoyed lips. "Papa, I know nothing of how to manage a company really. Besides, if I start working who will take care of you and keep an eye on the maids?" Vidushi had offered, smiling wide. Her smile never met her eyes.

It had been a surreal experience.

But it had given him some inputs about Vidushi. Subtle details he would have completely been unable to notice two years ago.

She was not happy. She was only pretending to be.

But that was Vidushi did. Had always done.

She pretended.

And Parth could always see right through her charade. He'd prided himself on that.

But this time he could not gauge her true feelings toward her husband.

He'd easily come to the conclusion that she had married the foolish and less than ideal man for his money, for the lavish life he could afford.

But his recent experiences with the Agarwal family and Vidushi's own confession that she cared about Ankit's feelings had thrown a monkey wrench into everything he thought he knew about her.

Three days ago Ankit had entered his room. With a face slightly irritated as he put down a couple of books on the side table. Sidney Sheldon and Sherlock Holmes. "Sanyukta asked me to lend you some." After Parth's regular routine of medicines and general checkup was over Ankit had informed him that Vidushi would be checking up on him the day after. Parth had nodded almost mechanically, his face a controlled mask of indifference.

Ankit then sternly told him to not taunt her. "I remember you smirking at her and taunting her on the day of our engagement. I will not tolerate such behavior. Please remember that you are a guest here. My sister's guest. But should you make my wife uncomfortable you won't be welcome here anymore."

All the accounts Sanyukta had given of Ankit had made Parth picture him as the typical misogynistic male. A part of Parth rationalized Ankit's warning as a territorial male threatening a rogue one. Another part of Parth saw that under the gruff and selfish exterior Ankit Agarwal cared for his wife as well as his sister.

As Ankit had warned, Vidushi came in the next day to check up on him. She was formal. Handing him a glass of water and his pills.

His arm was shaky and he spilt the water all over his shirt. She only sighed. No snide remarks.

He felt equal parts ashamed and curious when he asked her to help him take off his shirt.

She nodded, her face schooled into a dispassionate expression.

Her eyes were on the wall behind him as she helped him take off his wet shirt.

She had always admired his physique. But now her eyes were fixed on that wall even as her hands were helping him put on a fresh shirt. She buttoned it up and left without another word.

Her discomfort and alienation told Parth it was best that he left.

That was why he was dialing the number he had sworn he would never call.

The ringtone was replaced by a human voice.

"Hello?" the male voice on the other end sounded sleepy and hoarse.

"Namit. This is Parth. I need you to do me a favour." Parth sighed.

"So you are alive. Where were you when your mother died and I had to do all the rituals her son should have done?" the tone was unforgiving and blunt. Unlike the mind games he had played in FITE more than two years ago.

It took everything Parth had to not keep the phone down and hit something. It took him all of the self control he had to ask the dreaded question.

"I need a ride to..." He nearly bit his tongue. "Dad's house. Will you please help me?"

"Ten years. You've not wanted to keep in touch with our father for ten years and now want to come back? You'd better have an explanation for this, Saint Parth. Text me the address you are at. I'll be there in two hours." Namit did not wait for Parth's reply.

The line went dead.

He had to start packing. It was not much to be done, just his shirts and medicines. Sanyukta had put them in the room when he had insisted upon it. He did not own much.

But his father did. His stepbrother did.

And now, when he returned, so would Parth.

----------------------------------------------------