Xxiv. Minerva

A/N: It's probably been 2+ months since I last updated. I'm sorry about that, it's been harder to write the past few months.

Preparing that proposal required him to tap into his shrewd, calculative side.

He did not resent having to do that, not this time.

Figures and Names, Dates and Violations: his head was nothing but a blur of them, interconnected. A lopsided maze to which he had to find the exit.

He embraced the challenge, reducing it to an impersonal task.

After all, he had never been good at being ruthless when real people and feelings were involved. Or so he liked to tell himself.

He knew that his proposal had to look irresistible on paper: logical and genius. Not a little child's demand for a fantasy to become a reality.

He half wondered if his plan will work. He half prayed it will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ankit Agarwal is an emotional man, one disinterested in the company. For all intents and purposes, it is Ankit who executes. But Kishore Agarwal is the one who signs the official papers and approves funding. There are internal conflicts within the company as well. Those we can take advantage of, if need be. But it is the older Agarwal, the owner, who is to be dealt with, and I've lived with them. My observations tell me that the man is stubborn and proud. Selling the company is something he will fight, even with his dwindling resources. Even when the man is fully aware his heir is inept." Parth explained.

"To the outsider, it is a clear win-win, buying a company that has potential but is faring badly. The losses and the lack of efficiency are factored in, along with the personality of the party concerned, your proposal has potential." Jay Saxena smiled "But you know that this man will not sell his company. He will watch it be destroyed slowly but never let it go. And that is a waste. He is also terribly old fashioned. He has a daughter who could do a far better job but he doesn't encourage her to do so."

"Sanyukta." Parth nodded.

He hadn't answered any of her calls or messages.

Even one that said that she had found Randhir.

"Parth?" Jay Saxena handed the file back to his son "I've tried to let this man sell his company a couple of times. Offered him a huge amount. He refuses every time. What makes you think that he will sell it this time?"

"Because, like you said, this man is terribly old-fashioned. He'll break but he won't bend. His values and his ideas belong in the 16th century. And as far as I know him, he will do anything to keep his image intact." Parth sighed "For him, the feelings of others are secondary and everything must align itself with his ideal. I know the way to take him down."

"Careful Parth, you can't bring your personal feelings into this. I can sense that you dislike the man. I'm not going to allow you to deal with this, I'll handle it personally. You'll get what you want." Jay took the files from his agitated son and offered him a glass of water "The company is going to turn into rubble and there are people and resources that will be ruined if this takeover fails, remember that. It's not only about your concern for the woman you love."

"I know, father." Parth bowed his head "And I trust you to do the right thing."

"Good. That's important. Trust. Remember that. Now how are your studies going?" Jay led his son to the balcony.

"They are going great. Better than I expected. It's a bit different from engineering." Parth laughed "It is mind over matter this time."

"It is always mind over matter Parth, haven't those psychology books already made you realize that?" Jay smirked "In case you need them, there are more books in my study. Most of them are imported and rare but as long as you put them back after you are done you can use them as much as you want."

Parth couldn't help his grin.

It was the loud and sudden ringing of his phone that jostled him out of his thoughts.

"You should take that call. I'll be down in the kitchen." Jay patted his son on the shoulder.

Parth nodded, pulling the dratted phone out of his pocket and nearly getting a shock.

Randhir calling.

"Shit. This means he knows. I'm done for." Parth muttered.

He wasn't ready to face this. To tell anyone about what was going on in his life.

And Randhir, who had his own family issues, would not understand what Parth was doing.

And so, Parth hit ignore.

---------------------------------------------------

50 calls.

Each one of them met with mixed feelings from Parth's side.

Guilt. Irritation.

"Who is calling you so much?" Isha poked him in the chest "A stalker?"

"A friend." Parth sighed.

"Why are you cutting the call then?" Isha set aside her book.

"Because... I'm not ready. He won't understand me and there'll be a huge argument with lots of screaming on his part. Randhir isn't like me. He's independent and he would much rather go hungry for days and do odd jobs instead of seeking help." Parth picked up his cup of coffee.

"But he is still a friend. And he deserves to know you are okay. Take your time. It's okay to feel like you do. Just don't forget that he is concerned about you." Isha smiled at him. "And if he yells at you I know you'll yell right back. Maybe shove him around a bit."

Parth recalled the varied misunderstandings and fist fights that had occurred between him and Randhir. How he, Parth had caved, simply for the purpose of keeping the peace.

But this time, with a half structured chaos of a heart that he didn't feel the need to tame, he wasn't sure he wanted to step back to keep the peace anymore.

"How do you—" he stopped mid-sentence and frowned "Sahil. He told you the many entertaining events in FITE didn't he?"

"Oh yes." Isha smirked "Thanks for reminding me, I need to get ready. Movie night with my wonderful boyfriend."

"Enjoy" Parth raised his cup in a mock toast.

"I always do." She walked out, humming to herself.

Parth shook his head and returned to the first book in The Song of Ice and Fire series.

Isha ran in " This is not a drill. Come down at once, that kooky friend of yours is banging on the door, demanding to see you. Mom is not pleased with his language."

"Oh shit." Parth ran his hands through his hair. "What do I tell him?"

"Um, I don't know, the truth!" Isha took his book and glared at him "Get down there and show your face. That door can't take much of his abuse anymore!"

Parth gulped.