Chapter 41 - In my Liverpool Home

Tung, Madrick and Michael grabbed their packed bags and left the apartment for the last time. Michael knew he could never return. A wave of sadness flowed over him; a goodbye wave. All in all, this had been a happy place. He'd miss it.

He'd planted a few red herrings before they left. At some stage the hunters would find this apartment and examine everything in the minutest of detail. They'd find nothing. There were absolutely no useful clues left for them to follow, six months of meticulous planning had taken care of that. Planning was the key, no rushed decisions. Rushing things was the recipe for disaster, straight from the cookbook of poor preparation.

He led the group to the underground station, paid for their tickets in cash and after a short wait they all boarded a train heading south out of the city. They rode in silence as the carriage hurtled through the dark tunnels. Everyone was on edge, were they being followed? Were any of the other passengers taking an unhealthy interest in them?

This was déjà vu for Madrick and Tung. Their lives seemed to be going around in a great big circle. It wasn't long ago, in the timeline of their lives, that they were being chased by Mifal, and the Black and White Wizards.

"I wonder if we'll ever be done running," said Madrick. "There's always someone chasing us. Our sad lives are just one damned chase after another."

"Or is it all the same damned chase? Is it actually the same people who are after us but now they're in a modern guise?" said Tung.

"You guys got away last time, so why not this time? I think we're in good shape. I don't think there's any way they can find us."

"Okay guys, change your jackets now and spread out so we exit out of different doors."

"Are we there already?" asked Tung.

"No," said Michael. "We're making sure we don't leave a trail."

After five more train changes, each paid with cash, they ended up heading north and Michael told them they could settle down for a while.

"That's enough hopping on an off. If they pick us up at all I reckon they'll think we've headed south. As far as I can tell, we've made it impossible for them to work out where we've actually gone."

"Great," said Tung. "I'm dying to go to the toilet."

"Just over there," said Michael pointing. "The door's automatic so make sure you lock it otherwise things could be embarrassing. Just press all the buttons until the red light above the door comes on... it's foolproof."

Twenty minutes later, Tung hadn't returned.

"You alright in there?" said Michael through the door.

"No, I can't get out. I did what you told me and hit all the buttons to make sure the damned thing was locked. Now I can't get it to open again."

After a few failed attempts to free his friend, Michael called over a passing conductor.

"What's wrong, sir?"

"My friend's locked in."

"Not a problem. I've already dealt with aggressive fare dodgers, a punch up in the buffet car and a clutch of drunken party girls. Someone locked in the lavatory is a bit of light relief."

"He's a bit 'slow' in the brain department so don't pay too much attention to anything he says."

"Don't worry, this sort of thing happens all the time."

After a bit of fiddling with his special keys, the door swooshed open and Tung rushed out.

"That was like being in a cell again..."