Chapter 4 - Michael

Michael was twenty-one and he'd been messing with computers since the age of six. Computer games had dominated his childhood but his abiding love affair with technology started when he discovered the Internet and all the wonderful things it had to offer a growing boy. His father's attempts to restrict his access using parental controls and passwords were futile; an adult versus a determined teenager was no contest. His dad built the best barriers he could but they were more of a challenge than a hindrance. For Michael, creating workarounds sparked an enduring fascination with security systems, encryption and the like.

Thick programming manuals became his fodder. The books were the techie equivalent of a Big Mac triple cheeseburger. Specialist Internet forums became his home and computing magazines consumed all his pocket money. His appetite for knowledge, and burgers, was insatiable.

Friends came and went. Who wanted to be mates with someone who spent every waking hour on a computer? So his early years were lonely yet they were the happiest days of his life. His parents were loving and supportive. He'd a roof over his head, a room of his own, plenty to eat and the fastest Internet connection available. Who could ask for anything more?

By age fourteen, he was a legend among the Internet techno-geeks. This acclaim gave him a self-confidence which eventually matured into social confidence; a rarity for a computer buff who'd shied away from face-to-face contact. Now, he was comfortable in any circle and he'd a well thought out opinion on most topics and a clever anecdote or joke for nearly any situation. He was funny, articulate and an all-round likeable guy.

At nineteen, he joined Noviru, an emerging high-tech company producing intelligent, anti-virus software. Their software was revolutionary; it learnt from its experience in the real world and it evolved by itself to counter the ever-changing threat from Internet crackers and hackers. Revolutionary and evolutionary.

He worked in the Malware Creation department, MC for short, a little ironic because MC was the texting abbreviation for Merry Christmas, but they made presents no one wanted. Malware Creation wasn't the department's official name, of course. In fact, the department didn't exist, officially.

Michael spent his days creating Viruses, Worms, Trojans, and Spyware, all targeting big banks and other financial institutions. These targets called it 'malware,' which was a bit harsh because his creations weren't particularly malicious, so maybe 'pesky-ware' was nearer the mark. Whatever you called them, they were annoying enough to be the ultimate door opening tool for Noviru's sales team. How else could a small company grab the undivided attention of multinational giants?

The software simply told people their system had been breached. 'This message demonstrates your vulnerability. Contact Noviru if you want total protection.' As time went on, he injected humour into the mix. 'Planet Earth is shutting down in twenty minutes. Please save all your files, log off and contact Noviru.' Sometimes his software was sneakier. Messing with the target's automated telephone answering systems was a favourite ploy. 'Press seven if you would like a list of how technology has improved our lives.' Or trapping callers in the holding-music loop and every so often telling them they were one place further back in the queue. How funny was that?

As soon as a business realised it couldn't dislodge the invasive software, it reluctantly contacted Noviru for help. Inevitably the first meetings were hostile with a capital H; lots of shouting, plenty of accusations and threats of legal action, or worse. However, after everyone calmed down, a sale was often made.

That was just the tip of Michael's digital iceberg. He had his own plans for one of these titanic financial companies. He had created software intruders which were infinitely more devious than anything Noviru had.