Chapter 43 - The Future Past

Michael had a couple of important tasks to tackle. First, keep moving the money he'd stolen, the bank wasn't getting that back. Second, create modern identities for both Madrick and Tung. They'd need the relevant paperwork and reference documents if they were going to survive comfortably in the contemporary world.

Creating identities was straightforward, although it required a bit of time and patience. He knew the process well, after all he'd successfully created a completely new identity for himself already. His alter-Michael had every conceivable form of documentation, from a passport to a driving license, from a bank account to utility contracts.

The first thing you needed was a birth certificate. You always started this process by finding someone who was of a similar age had they not died as a child. He smiled when he remembered that both Tung and Madrick were about a thousand years old.

In another room, Tung and Madrick worked on spells again. They'd produced nothing of use in London, maybe Liverpool would be different.

"You've really mastered this magic thing, haven't you?" said Madrick. "I remember when making spells was hard work for you, now it's a quick and painless process."

"Yeah, no more massive headaches."

"I'm very proud of you, you know that don't you?"

"Thanks, Father," said Tung. "I mean thanks, Madrick."

The London pattern continued as Tung produced more valueless spells, such as the weird tree which now grew in the corner of the large lounge. Would Michael like the numerous interwoven blue branches and perfectly round, red leaves as part of his décor? Truth be told, he'd have little choice because it was very big and looked firmly rooted.

Tung kept on creating and dissipating spells. He'd become quite blasé about the process and no longer marvelled at the smaller feats of magic. After another string of innocuous creations, he gave birth to a giant crystal ball which seemed to tickle Madrick's excitement button more than just a little.

"This will show us pictures of the future. Don't get me wrong, it won't show us our individual futures, which I think is a good thing. Personally I'd rather not know what life holds in store for me, particularly if the last few weeks are anything to go by."

"So what will it show us?"

"It'll show great events and significant happenings which are destined to take place sometime in the future. We can choose how far ahead we want to see. The longer we hold our hands on the orb, the further into the future it will portray. From my memory of this rather obscure spell, we'll be able to see as far ahead as three hundred years."

"Not excited," said Tung.

"Michael," screamed Madrick. "Come and see this."

"He's busy."

"I think he'll want to see this. He's interested in beautiful and wondrous things... unlike you."

Michael paused his work and joined them in the lounge. It was probably time for a break anyway, he thought, as he entered his favourite room in the house.

"What the..." he yelled. "What have you done to my beautiful room?"

The random debris from useless spells littered his lounge. It was like the flotsam and jetsam you might find on a beach after a particularly violent and surreal storm. Most of it could be tidied but what on earth was the bizarre tree growing out of his floor?

"I know," said Madrick. "It's an interesting feature. I think it'll grow on you... it'll certainly grow on. I think it's well rooted."

A few deep breaths calmed him down a little. What was the point in getting upset? They were all learning to deal with their new situation and a weird tree was just another part of the adventure. Anyway, it might be nice to sit under it in the summer. It might even start a new trend, he'd definitely seen stupider things in some of the televised makeover shows.

"That's not what we wanted to show you although it's good to get it out of the way because we were worried you might be cross. Look, this is what we really wanted you to see. It's the future."

Both Madrick and Tung dah-dahed as they ostentatiously presented the great orb, much like a cheesy conjurer would show the results of his grand finale trick.

"This marvellous crystal will show us great events from the future," said Madrick. "Let me demonstrate and show you what will befall us as we progress through time."

He laid his hands on the crystal ball and they all peered into its centre. Misty images began to form. Indefinable shapes shifted and morphed. Madrick took his hands away and the images started to come into focus. They all moved in closer and eventually recognised soldiers racing into battle. The scene then focused on the king of one of the armies who'd been speared in the eye with an arrow.

"That's not the future," said Michael. "That's the Battle of Hastings and it happened in 1066."

Madrick tried again, this time holding his hands on the great crystal globe for much longer. Again it showed a long-past event.

"That's the signing of the Magna Carta," said Michael. "That was twelve-hundred and something."

"I reckon I know what the problem is," said Madrick after some thought. "The future ball is trapped in the past. It's stuck in the age which the Scroll travelled from, so I guess it'll never be able to show us the future."

"Great," said Tung, "now I'll be able to find out what was going to happen back then."

"The History Channel would be better," said Michael.

"What a shame we can't see the future," said Madrick, "but the ball will make a fascinating centre piece for the room. And it'll distract attention from the tree."

"Let's take a rest," said Michael. "I think we're all tired. We don't need to kill ourselves by over-working. A life without rest is like..."

"I know," said Madrick, "it's like a day without sunshine."