Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Ryder Andaks crisply controlled tones leave us both speechless and we turn to look at him with the frozen panic of rabbits caught in the beam of headlights.

“Now you know rather too much about Tom and our tribe for the things you’ve told me to be untrue, so like good little girls you’re going to answer my questions. But first let me tell you something that might surprise you; I also believe that that someone is killing my brothers!”

“Perhaps you even know who?” Asks Jan smoothly.

Ryder Andak pulls Jan roughly from her chair and against him.

“Two weeks ago my brother Devin died in one of those accidents you were just discussing, he is the fifth brother I’ve lost, and so understand that when you start casting insinuations like that around I see red. Where is Tom?”

“I don’t know,” answers Jan.

“I’ve asked you nicely, start cooperating or I’ll have to try another method.”

“If you think that threatening us is a good way of showing us your trustworthy you’re greatly mistaken,” her voice is sardonic as she looks at him from beneath half closed lids.

“You play it cool, I’ll give you that, but you’re in over your head and scared out of your wits—no don’t bother to deny it. You forget; in this position I can feel every beat of your heart.”

Ryder Andak lurches forwards as Jan kicks him in the shin, but still he retains his hold on her.

“Vicious little vixen aren’t you?” amazingly his voice holds amusement, “I wish I had more time for your games, they’re excessively diverting, but I’m a busy man.”

Before Jan has time to struggle he has swept her from her feet by the simple expedient of using his leg to trip her up, she falls backwards into the chair and he handcuffs her to it in an easy fluid movement as she falls.

“Now then, where’s Tom?” he asks leaning back against the desk.

“You’re like a stuck record,” observes Jan infuriatingly.

“Stop wasting my time!”

“Then try another question, I’m not trying to be difficult, I don’t know where Tom is; he left the Marshall compound two days ago and we haven’t seen or heard from him since, he took his family with him.”

“His family?” his question is startled.

“Yes; Uncle Jep and the kids.”

“Why didn’t he take you?”

“Why would he,” I counter.

“You’re not his wife?”

“Of course not,” I feel a fiery blush colour my cheeks.

“Then who is?”

“Tom’s not married,” I reply.

“But you just said he took his kids with him.”

“Not his kids—well they are his kids, but they’re not his kids.”

Ryder looks confused.

“She means that they’re adopted,” explains Jan.

“I see, and do you know why he went?”

“Your guess is as good as mine.”

Ryder sits on the desk a thoughtful look on his face.

“He’s at his most vulnerable now, I have to find him.”

I think he was talking more to himself than us but suddenly he looks up.