Chapter Twenty Three

“Deeta?” Jan’s whispering voice floats across the room from where she stands in the door way.

“I’m awake; did you see him?”

“He’s fine—they put him in a holding room at the other end of the barracks, from what I can tell he’s been giving everyone a bit of a rough time,” Jan’s smile is softly reminiscent.

“Did you manage to talk to him, alone I mean—did you tell him—”

“Yes Deeta, I told him everything—he knows what he has to do,” she pleats the coverlet between her fingers.

“He was disappointed not to see you.”

My throat fills with tears.

“I’ll see him soon enough, did he tell you anything about his treatment here?”

“Not much—there wasn’t time. What about Ryder, he didn’t look too pleased when you left the pavilion.”

“He’s mad as fire but he’s coming on my terms.”

Unconsciously my hand moves to caress the arm that he bruised in his angry unyielding hand.

“Did he hurt you?” Jan’s voice is indignant.

“No—I mean yes…but I don’t think that he knew he was doing it.”

Vaguely I wonder why I am defending a man who, unless I am very much mistaken, would derive the greatest pleasure from wringing my neck.

Ryder confuses me, sometimes it feels so wrong to suspect him, to not trust him and then he will do something like he did tonight. Tonight I saw a side of him that I did not like; I saw hate and an almost murderous rage. In a way I understand it; he thinks that I have hurt Tom, that I’m trying to double cross him, but I don’t trust it.

Tomorrow I will enter the city for the third time in my life; unlike the other times however I will travel not with a friend but alone—with an Andak.

“What about Keya?”

“I saw her briefly—she was in the next cell,” answers Jan. “Mari will bring her here tomorrow, I don’t think we’ll have any trouble.”

“That doesn’t sound very much like Keya.”

“Maybe not but it’s the truth,” Jan looks away uncomfortably. “She cried Deet, she cried with relief when she saw me,” Jan shakes her head. “ I know it’s all her fault but—I felt so sorry for her Deeta, she was so scared and, and…haggard,” Jan pauses again. “I never thought that I would feel anything for Keya green but dislike,” she looks up and I see her beautiful eyes fill with tears. “I was wrong.”

~~~~~~~~

“Why are we here?” I look uncertainly at the rows of weaponry and protective clothing.

“Just to pick up a few things—you know it isn’t safe out there without some form of protection, don’t you Deeta.”

I couldn’t ignore the sarcasm if I wanted to. Ryder looks different and alarming this morning, his black suit has disappeared to be replaced by trousers and shirt in gray camouflage, the only thing remotely familiar is the hair that is smoothed back in an orderly fashion, sleek to his head. I watch uncomfortably as he loads a hand gun and reaches for a rifle.

“You won’t need that.”

Ryder’s grey eyes meet mine.

“I’m pretty sure I will.”

I swallow convulsively, he isn’t behaving like the Ryder Andak I know, there is something sinister about him—his eyes are dead and cold; he could be a killer, Deeta—how would you know? I shiver a little feeling my palms clammy and hot, I smooth them down the fabric of my jumpsuit.