Chapter 5: A pirate's life (is not) for me

When Astryd finally decided to emerge back above deck, she realized that they were sailing away from the ship they had attacked that morning. The poor ship was stripped of its sails. Astryd guessed that was to keep them from being followed. The ship was now only a faint shape disappearing over the horizon.

The sun was no longer shying behind the horizon but was hung high in the sky. Without a cloud above, the sun's rays were beating down relentlessly, slowly causing beads of sweat to form on Astryd's temples.

Suddenly, she heard someone shout.

"What do you mean you never told her?"

She knew that voice. She turned around to see Carmen near the helm. Her fists were tight and her body tense as she glared dangerously at Kincade who was standing in front of her.

Kincade glared back at Carmen with a matching look of frustration. "That's your job. It's the quartermaster's role to initiate newcomers, remember?"

"But I wasn't the one that dragged her along just before setting sail! The poor girl...all this time I assumed she knew what she was signing up for, and here you are throwing her straight into a full-fledged attack! I had already closed applications. I filled the replacements that we needed back at the pub. And as you said, it is my job after all!" she snapped.

         "Just deal with it, will you? I'm busy," Kincade huffed.

         Carmen remained rooted to her spot as Kincade descended the stairs from the helm without so much as a glance towards Astryd. He walked into the captain's quarters and slammed the door behind him.

         Astryd saw Carmen let out a sigh and rub her temples as she stared at the wooden planked floor. When she looked up, she finally saw Astryd standing below her on the main deck. Her eyes brightened a little and she gave Astryd a small smile before descending the stairs to the main deck where Astryd stood.

         "Sorry about that. I had no idea Thomas never filled you in. I should've known better than to leave it up to him to get you started. Now, why don't I show you where you'll be working?"

Astryd soon began to discover that life aboard a ship was nowhere near glamorous. She spent her first full day aboard the Crescent fulfilling the duties of a swab, which was the most boring role on a ship. A swab's duties mostly included aiding in keeping up with the ship's repairs, keeping the deck clean, and hauling around any heavy equipment that needed to be moved. At this point, Astryd wished she at least had the role of a rigger, who's job was to keep up with the rigging and sails on the ship. The riggers spent most of their time high above the main deck on the ship's masts. At least that way she could get a nice view and get away from the smell.

She was scrubbing the deck at a steady rhythm when she peered up to see a pair of large heavy boots standing on the area she just finished scrubbing. She let out a quiet grumble before looking up at the man standing in her way. The scar-faced man was glaring down at her. He leaned down and grabbed her by the arm.

"I'm gonna make you pay for what you did t' me," he said in a deep rumbling voice.

"I see you've met your Boatswain," said Carman.

The man quickly released his hold on Astryd and straitened up. He gave a slight nod and a grunt at Carmen's approach.

Carmen turned to the man. "Back to your duties, then?"

He gave her another small nod before glaring at Astryd and walking off without another word.

After seeing Astryd's puzzled look, Carmen added, "The Boatswain will be overseeing all your duties. He is in charge of all the swabs. You'll be reporting back to him with any questions you may have." She looked to the Boatswain walking away. "He's from Esterbell too. Hired right around the time you were, actually. I'll leave you to finish up." Without another word, she disappeared into the captain's cabin.