Chapter 8: Not a pirate

So many thoughts raced through Astryd's mind as she slowly made her way towards the thick oak doors that led to Kincade's cabin. What could he possibly want?

She walked to the entrance of his cabin, which was placed just under the helm on the main deck. She stood before the doors engraved with detailed designs and stared at them for a moment, her fist hovering over the wood. She took a deep breath and opened the doors.

Astryd had never been in the captain's cabin before. It wasn't quite as grand as she imagined. The ceiling was low, and the only light was coming from the window lining the back wall, which gave a view of the ocean out the back of the ship.

Kincade was standing hunched over a long table in the center of the wide room with his back to her. Sprawled on the table was a collection of different looking old maps and charts.

"You wanted to speak with me, Captain?" Her intentions were to sound sweet and innocent, but addressing him formally felt foreign to her.

"You are a mystery to me, Astryd," he replied calmly. His focus was still on his maps and charts.

"What?"

"You're somewhat of a closed book, it seems, but I can't help but wonder why."

"So, I'm some sort of puzzle to you? Is that why you haven't forced information out of me?" So that's why she was brought here. He was going to interrogate her. She could already start to feel her heartbeat quicken.

Her stress increased when he didn't reply, still focused on his pieces of parchment.

After a pause, he finally put down his charting tools and turned to face Astryd. "My crew come from a lot of different backgrounds. Young and old, we all come from something."

Does he ever just get to the point?

"Or rather, run from something," he continued. "I don't ask too many questions when hiring my crew, considering the circumstances. I leave it up to the crew as an option to share one's story. But you," he took a step closer to her, seeming to study her eyes for answers, "you intrigue me. What made you want to disappear?"

Astryd scoffed. "Because I thought being invisible for a while would be fun. What does it matter? Tomorrow we make port, and I'll be out of here forever."

"Is sarcasm some sort of defense mechanism for you?" He laughed. It wasn't a mocking laugh but more genuine, almost surprised.

"Why do you care?"

"Because you show potential, Astryd. I know you don't care to be here. You've made that quite clear, but I've seen you work."

"So now you're spying on me? What exactly are you trying to ask me, Captain?"

"Well as you know, I have a vacancy that needs filling."

For a moment, Astryd just stared at him, and then she gasped. "You want me to be the new boatswain?"

Kincade raised a brow and smiled at her.

Astryd stood there blinking, shocked. No one ever put this kind of trust in her before. She couldn't even hold a steady job at home. Living on her own from such a young age, she never had anyone place responsibility on her shoulders. Just the mere thought of responsibility felt like a heavy weight on her shoulders, like an anchor tethering her down without hope of escaping. Without freedom.

Kincade pulled her from her thoughts. "You've shown impressive knowledge of Esterbell attack strategies, knowledge that I think could prove useful if you stay."

"Is this a joke? Do you honestly believe that the crew would actually listen to me? I think the fact that you and the rest of the crew didn't care to hear what I had to say until you got yourself into trouble tells me a lot about you. I think you just want my 'knowledge' because I got you out of the hole you dug yourself. Admit it. I'm just a tool to you, another weapon in your arsenal."