seven

First Move

"Jungkook." I called, "What brings you here?"

It's almost eight-thirty. He wouldn't use all that time and effort of driving here if he didn't want to tell me anything. Of course, I'm determined to talk to him—quickly—since my parents will be home probably in twenty minutes. Although they know we're friends, I don't want them to get confused why I'm with my cousin's boyfriend at this hour. That's pretty suspicious if you ask me.

"Hyori, can we... talk for second?" Jungkook's honey-like voice filled my ears. He was in a black shirt and jeans, along with a pair of brown timberlands.

I clenched my jaw, nodding hesitantly. "You should come in..." I said quietly.

I headed inside the house with him trailing behind me in silence. One of our maids greeted me, eyeing Jungkook curiously but thankfully didn't utter any word. I politely asked if Jungkook wanted anything to eat or drink and he declined nicely.

"Sit down." I gestured on the wide couch while I sat on the sofa from opposite direction.

Jungkook stared at me, his dark colored eyes bore into mine. My stomach turned cold. I felt uncomfortable and nervous for some reason. I fiddled with my fingers, trying to avert my eyes elsewhere. I suddenly remembered Eunhye's offer again. Can I really do it? Should I accept it?

Jungkook cleared his throat, gaining my full attention. "I came by to apologize... for what happened in the past," he started. His voice was still and quiet, almost like he was reluctant. Well, I understand. He's egocentric and it's hard for him to apologize. Should I feel honored that he told me he's sorry, then?

"It's okay." Not really. "I understand that you don't want someone to interfere with your life. I'm sorry, I'm the one at fault."

He shook his head, "I shouldn't have yelled."

"I told you, it's completely fine with me. I'm over it."

None of us spoke after my statement. I want this talk to be done already, but a part of me wanted to enjoy this moment, too. Probably because I missed him? Did I really miss Jungkook? Previously, when he was still in good terms with Eunhye, I see him almost everyday. And now that they fought, I feel like there's now a distance between us that I can't cross.

While he was not looking at me, I grabbed the chance to finally study his face. He looks the same as before. Nothing really changed. But as usual, I can't take my eyes off him. He was damn attractive and it's annoying.

"Eunhye and I fought that night," I was startled when he spoke up. "I knew I was at fault, too, because I didn't show up early for that special dinner. But I had a reason. I just don't understand why it's hard for Eunhye to hear me out."

I bit my bottom lip, feeling my heart hammering against my chest. "She told me you don't answer her texts, and that you refuse to meet her. Maybe the reason why she doesn't want to hear you is the fact that you don't try to hear her side as well."

"I was upset, Hyori. I still am."

"She's upset, too, you know."

Jungkook exhaled sharply. "I was late for that dinner because I went to Busan in the morning. I wasn't supposed to go there but I heard Hyung was sick since the beginning of the week. I only travel to Busan during Saturdays, Hyori,  you know that."

I was taken aback. This is the first time I heard Jungkook's side. I get that Eunhye's father, my uncle, is strict and professional. That's probably because he's the first son of our grandparents; the first born. But now that I understand Jungkook's reason, a heavy feeling made its way to my heart. Did I judge him too bad?