twelve

Cousinhood, Blooming Friendship

"Hyori-ah, where are you going?"

I looked up to meet my parents' curious looks, letting a smile conquer my lips. "Jogging at the lake, Eomma." 

"Why not go to the gymnasium? It's more convenient."

"I want fresh air." I simply replied, tying my shoe laces. "And I'll get breakfast once I return. It's still early."

"Well, be careful, Hyori." Appa reminded. "We're going to work after eating. Be sure to help your sister with whatever she needs."

"Of course!"

I went out of the house wearing my jogging shorts and a plain black shirt. My hair was in a high ponytail and a towel was on my shoulder, something for me to use once I perspire. 

I planned to start the weekend with a clear mind - hoping that I wouldn't have to think about Eunhye, Jungkook, or even Jimin. I admit I had been experiencing an extremely good time with Jungkook the past two days, but I try not to get too attached, knowing it's all temporary.

We're friends, I know, it's okay to feel comfortable in each other's presence but hell, he doesn't know I like him and all of his gestures would mean something else to me.

Everything's not that bad, though. My parents found out about me winning second place and they were genuinely happy with the results. I guess I'm really not ready to participate in the Lion's Sketch Competition at all, and that's fine.

After an hour of jogging, I came back home for a cold shower. Afterwards, I changed into a pair of black leggings and an over sized shirt with my damp hair cascading down my shoulders.

I grabbed my art tools from the storage room and a plain canvas to paint on, placing everything into a small table I asked the maid to set up in the garden. I brought the canvas to its stand and aligned the brushes properly - from smallest to the biggest, as well as the watercolors I would use.

Our garden has the most relaxing ambiance. I always loved how the flowers and plants were arranged; how clean the pathways were - it gave me a better reason to enjoy my time here while painting.

I started to work on the portrait and with each streak of the paint brush, I smiled privately in satisfaction.

When I was younger, I was slightly envious of the kids who had the talent to sing, to dance, to act. They had such sweet voices while I could hardly even sing without cringing. It made me jealous of people like Eunhye, who was multi-talented. She may not be the best in singing or dancing, but she can pull off both. Plus, she had an astonishing passion for writing. She was great, simply amazing.

Not to mention, Soobin's area of expertise would be writing, too. She was also truly intelligent and it's sad how I always feel left out. Like I'm the least talented; like I'm the least important.

That's why I was so happy when I found my way - when I discovered arts. In my mind, finally - I had something to brag about, I finally had something to be proud of - but as time went by I realized that I really, genuinely loved arts. I didn't like it because I found out it was my talent. I loved it because it made me happy, it satisfied me very much.

-

"Whoa! Your work is awesome!" Eunhye was currently gawking over the paintings beside the announcement board with twinkling eyes.