one

Bittersweet

"Happy Birthday!"

A smile graced Eunhye's lips as she scooped me into her arms, enveloping me into a tight, warm hug. The strong scent of her expensive and feminine perfume hit my nostrils instantly, her fragrance was almost as similar to the smell of a lavender flower. My cousin soon let go of me and grinned, the make up on her face defining most of her soft features, "Thank you!"

"Don't get too emotional with me now," I laughed at my own joke before a new pack of friends made their way towards Eunhye, greeting and showering her with love and presents.

I got blocked when two girls jumped to Eunhye and hugged her while three more ladies went to both of her sides to give their gifts wrapped in boxes with red bows. I decided to quietly flee away, letting my cousin speak to her guests. I can talk to her later, it's her duty to entertain her visitors and I will understand if she doesn't make some time for me today.

The background music was loud and the party hall was full of guests, and I would say I don't even know half of them. My eyes caught a few familiar faces, but I wasn't very close to those people so I chose to ignore. Besides, if I do approach them, I wouldn't be able to think of an interesting subject and I will only bore them, let alone embarrass myself.

There was a small platform in front and that was where the opening ceremonies were held. There was a huge tarpaulin and balloons of different colors. There was a bar counter just beside it, a spacious dance floor, and tables and chairs were set up after it.

I went to the buffet table where different kinds of exquisite dishes were served. My mouth was watering when I saw the desserts; I wanted to eat all the imported chocolates resting on the long rectangular table, however I ended up averting my eyes on the fruits. They were sliced into small pieces; the vibrant colors of the mangoes and watermelons greeted my dark brown eyes. I sighed, grabbing a small plate along with a tiny, thin stick. I started to place a few pieces of both fruits on my container with the use of the stick and slowly started to eat them.

I care a lot when it comes my body, which is why I'm a bit picky and conscious of the food served on my plate. As I chew my food, my eyes scanned through the thick crowd. It's Eunhye's eighteenth birthday, she's one of my cousins and tonight, we're in a party to celebrate it. All of our close relatives are invited, alongside with our families' business partners and group of well-acquainted friends. I don't know much people from our school, but based from what I've heard from Soobin (another one of my cousins), a lot of our schoolmates came to celebrate Eunhye's birthday with us.

"Ouch– hey!" I gasped lightly when somebody bumped onto my shoulder. I stumbled forward a bit and almost lost my balance due to the heels I was wearing. Good thing the plate on my hand didn't fall.

"Sorry!" I whipped my head angrily to face that stupid and seemingly blind person. I wasn't a war freak and I am definitely not plotting to shout at him for his carelessness, but I was really irritated. The hall was very big and spacious, I can't even see a single reason how people would bump into each other's shoulders.

However, it seems like I ate my words when I took notice of that person. My anger vanished into thin air almost immediately, my cheeks heating up at the sight of Park Jimin who had his hands up a bit in defense. My mouth hung agape and I'm sure he was surprised too.

"O-Oh, Jimin," Without thinking twice, I dropped the plate on the table again and bowed my head a little. "Sorry, I didn't know it was you..."

"Ah, it's Hyori," he chuckled, "It's fine. As I matter of fact, I'm the one who should apologize. I'm in quite a hurry, I wasn't looking so I bumped to you."