ten

Unexpected Events

"Thank you for the snack," I held the paper bag against my chest. "Drive safely."

"Yeah," Jungkook nodded before he glanced away. "And we should hang out more. We couldn't really spend time the previous months so let's catch up."

My heart fluttered. Biting my lower lip, I tried to stop my smile from growing wider. "Uh, okay. That would be nice."

I waved him goodbye before he made his way to his car, throwing me his signature smirk once again before driving away. I quietly walked inside the house only to find the maids setting the table and preparing the food.

"Hyomin," I caught sight of my little sister who was sitting on the couch quietly with her coloring book was on her lap. "Where's Eomma and Appa? Are they home yet?"

She turned to look at me for a minute before she gave me a curt nod. "They just arrived, Unnie."

"Okay..." I said, scanning my eyes up and down her face again. Hyomin and I aren't similar in anything. Although we both have porcelain skin, none of our features seem to look alike.

At dinner, I announced at the table that I was going to join the elimination round for the Lion's Sketch. My parents were looking forward to it - since they both saw my passion towards drawing and anything else that has something to do with arts. For some reason I was much happier during dinner, I couldn't help but smile every time I speak and laugh whenever someone makes a joke - regardless of how funny or not it may sound.

I knew Eomma sensed my extremely good mood, causing her to ask me what happened earlier today. In response, I just told her that I'm completely overwhelmed by the fact that I'm joining the elimination round. Well, that's partly true - Eunhye and Jimin did make me happy when they said I can join and sign up. I was reluctant, yes, but that's because I lacked confidence. I don't believe much in my abilities but I'd love to participate in such a great contest.

However, I'm completely aware that it's not just the Lion's Sketch. I'm smiling for different reasons. I never knew I can feel giddy and happy inside like this just because of a simple 60-minute hang out with Jungkook.

Even just for this day, I refused to think of the what ifs and consequences. Just this once, I wanted to be greedy. For the first time, I borrowed him from his girlfriend; I became selfish. There is a tinge of guilt within my system but I know that at the end of the day, we are only acquaintances. And to me, that's enough. I won't ask for something I know I can never have.

Yes, maybe there really is a part of me that doesn't want them to be together, but I can compromise. A part of me also says that they're for each other - and that's the side I'm going to favor.

There's nothing more important than family, for them I can sacrifice little things like infatuation.

When I came upstairs to rest, I decided to open the storage room before sleeping.

Opening the lights, I saw my works - the paintings I worked hard for, the canvas covered with various colors of paint. They were all hanging up the wall, some were vertically on the ground. My art kits were on the floor as well; they were a bit dirty since there were traces of paint on them and over all, they were dusty.

The only materials you could see inside the room would be my paintings, brushes, watercolors, pencils, and markers. A few writing tools were scattered on the ground. The room was a bit messy but I didn't mind; I kept my eyes on the paintings on the walls, smiling to myself.