Chapter 17

~*~*~*~*~*~

I sat next to Steve holding his hand as he made small circle with his thumb on my hand. "Oh, five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my batting swing. Turned out, it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass. I found something 40 years in the army never taught me:

"Perspective.

"The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You've fought for us. Protected us. Risked your lives. While a great many people see you as heroes. There are some who would prefer the word vigilantes. "

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Bell asked in what seemed like a professional tone, however, it was anything but professional. Underneath all of it I could hear the patronizing sound mixed in with a hint of sarcasm as the Secretary tried to lecture us.

"How about "Dangerous?" What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignores sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind them." He answered.

"Excuse me?" I muttered under my breath, he heard me, I made sure of that. I am a very pissed off pregnant mama, who is past her due-date. 

"New York.

"Washington DC.

"Sokovia.

"Lagos."

"Okay, we get it." Bell said obviously annoyed.

 "That's enough." Steve added when he saw Wanda's face.

Mr. Secretary glared at Bell, "for the past 4 years, you operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate, but I think we have a solution."

He slapped two books onto the table, of which Steve and I immediately grabbed the two copies. "The Sokovia accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states, that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations Panel, only when and if that Panel deems it necessary."

I shared a concerned glance with Bell, it's not that I do not agree that we all together have an enormous amount of power, but I do not believe there is a body of leaders who are morally capable of controlling that amount of power. As I learned when I was in school from reading history, absolute power corrupts. 

We might have an almost absolute power, but I feel as if our moral compass is straighter than that of the United Nations. Yes, we've made mistakes, but we are all human. "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve said calmly as inside I was seething.

"Tell me captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 mega tonne nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences." 

I rolled my eyes, I've had enough. "Mr. Secretary, with all due respect, do not place your personal limitations and expectations upon this team." I felt Steve's hand squeeze mine, I looked over and saw him all wide-eyed, knowing I had been pushed too far.

"Exactly what do you mean Mrs. Rogers?"

"Thor is not from Earth, he is a member of this team, and frankly, he is a much more intelligent and advanced human being than you. He is not, and should not, be restricted by our politics just because you all are scared of his power. Bruce Banner left so as to protect those he cares about, if we needed to find him, trust me when I tell you this, we could.