Chapter 34

"How is he?" Steve asked me quietly as Rhodey and I walked in. 

"Bruce gave him a sedative," I said. "What Tony's been through..."

"He's gonna probably be out for the rest of the day," Rhodey said. 

"You guys take care of him," Carol Danvers said as she stood up. "And I'll bring an Bezurian elixir when I come back."

"Where are you going?" I asked. 

"To kill Thanos," Carol said simply. 

"Hey," Nat said with a look. "You know we usually work as a team here, and between you and I. We're also a little fragile."

"We realize up there is more your territory but this is our fight, too," I told Carol.  

"You even know where he is?" Rocket asked. 

"I know people who might," Carol replied. 

"Don't bother," Nebula said. "I can tell you where Thanos is."

"That was easy," I muttered. 

"Thanos spent a long time trying to perfect me," Nebula explained and I cringed at the thought. "Then when he worked, he talked about his great plan. Even disassembled, I wanted to please him. I'd ask, where would we go once his plan was complete? His answer was always the same. To The Garden."

"That's cute," Rocket said. "Thanos has a retirement plan."

"So where is he, then?" Steve asked.

"When Thanos snapped his fingers, Earth became ground zero for a power surge of ridiculously cosmic proportions," Rocket explained. "No one's ever seen anything like it until two days ago."

"On this planet," Nebula said. "Thanos is there."

"He used the stones again," I said hopelessly. 

"Hey, hey, hey," Bruce said nervously. "We'd be going in short-handed, you know?"

"Look, he still got the stones, so..." Rhodey said. 

"So let's get him," Carol said. "We use them to bring everyone back." 

"Just like that?" Rhodey asked. 

"Yeah," Carol said as she looked at Steve and I. "Just like that."

"Even if there's a small chance that we can undo this," I began, but I stopped. 

"I mean, we owe it to everyone who's not in this room to try," Natasha finished for me. 

"If we do this, how do we know it's gonna end any differently than it did before?" Bruce asked. 

"Because before, you didn't have me," Carol said.

"Hey, new girl, everybody in this room is about that superhero life," Rhodey said. "And if you don't mind my asking, where the hell have you been all this time?" 

"There are a lot of other planets in the universe," Carol said diplomatically. "And unfortunately, they didn't have you guys." 

If this works, and Carol is as strong as I think she is, we have reason to hope again. My head snapped to Thor as he stood up and then held out his arm, if he breaks another window to call that thing in here...

The ax came flying into his hand, going right by Carol's face and she just looked at Thor. If anything, I saw a little smirk on her face. "I like this one," Thor announced.

"Hopefully he doesn't want another," Nat said under her breath.

"Let's go get this son of a bitch," Steve said firmly.