Chapter Eight

Zoe POV

It was when Luke stopped that I turned on the light. 

"What's that?" I asked pointing to the corner of his room.

"Oh, that." He paused, took a deep inhale of breath and continued, "I'm headed off to New Zealand tomorrow, for a few days."

"A few days." I repeated solemnly, looking down at my naked body; suddenly feeling dirty and used.

"Yes," he reached his hand out, lifted my chin and looked into my eyes, "I'll be home before you know it."

"I'll miss you." I replied, taking his hand in mine and kissing his palm.

"I know you will, my love."

He stood up and walked to the kitchen, I leaned over the side of his bed and grabbed his shirt, put it on and pulled the covers up to my nose; laying on my side, waiting for him. 

He came back into the room carrying two glasses; a dark and stormy for me and single scotch whiskey for him. 

"You didn't have to fix me anything." 

"I didn't have to fall in love with you either, but it happened." He replied.

I sat up, took the cocktail out of his hand and took a sip; he sat down on the bed next to me and kissed my forehead. 

"I'll miss you." I repeated. 

He sighed. 

"Do you want me to cancel my trip?" 

"No; I just want to spend more time with you." 

"I don't know what to tell you Zoe, this is my job, my career, my whole life."

"I know." The raise in his voice took the wind out of my sails and caused me to remember my place.

"Look, my dear, don't throw a tantrum over it."

I look up at him and blinked.

"You don't really want Daddy to put you over his knee, do you?"

I shook my head. 

"I'll be back on Thursday lunchtime and I'll try to move heaven and earth to pick you up and spend all of Friday with you."

I smiled and kissed him. 

"Sorry for whining." 

He wrapped his arms around me, "It's alright, you just need to be put back in your place sometimes." 

"I have a confession." I murmured.

"What is it?" Luke asked.

"I stalked your ex-wife on Twitter."

Luke sighed once more, took my drink out of my hand and placed it on the bedside table.

"Why would you do that?"

"Because I wanted to see what she looked like."

"Really?" 

"Well, no, I just wanted to make sure she was really your ex."

Luke shifted his body in order to face me. 

"Do you want me to get you the separation papers?" He asked.

"No, that's alright."

"Look, here's the deal, I'll always be one hundred percent honest with you; she is my ex. Her name is Amy, we were married for two years until I caught her with someone else. We talk every week and she holds one share in my company. She has asked if we've had sex, what you were like in the bedroom, and she told me I was very lucky. Now, she has a new fiancee." 

It was my turn to sigh.

"But, you have to stop his stalking thing, baby. It's going to drive you completely insane." He continued. 

I nodded and he kissed my lips. 

"Let's get one thing straight though." I said.

"What's that?"

"I'm a better kisser than you."

"That may be so, but, I'm better at kissing your other lips."

I covered my eyes in mock despair and blushed. 

Hey there readers, it's a pretty short chapter! Please let me know what you think.