SIX

CHAPTER 6 | PREPARATIONS AND ESCAPES

THEY had provided her with a new set of clothes and procedure

THEY had provided her with a new set of clothes and procedure. They had given her a new life.

Maia smoothed out the lines in the worn-out dress Gilly had sewn together for her. A navy cape hung on her shoulders, protecting herself from the frigid cold. The bodice she wore felt too tight, but she knew that it would only be a matter of time before she got out of this world.

As she was in mid-motion of twisting her hair into a thick, complex braid, Maia had the epiphany of a life time. The only way she'd be able to return to Derek and her own time was if she found an exact replica of the tree she approached in Washington. She hoped her assumptions were correct, but now she actually had to find the tree.

She missed multiple inventions from the present. She missed TVs and cellphones, and especially, the internet. There was barely anything for entertainment in this world, exceptionally at Castle Black.

Jon gave her a list of actions to do each day, either to help out or so she wouldn't get bored. Maia usually helped out in the kitchens with Hobb and picked up in the eatery every night. If she had time, she would sometimes help Gilly mend clothes for the Watch, and she found the former Widling to be quite nice.

Maia got used to the stares that the men gave her, whether they be hatred or hunger. Her ass was slapped in the canteen more times than she could count, and she realized it was only when the Lord Commander was in proper conversation. She had never met men so vile since an old fraternity party she attended in college, but she could concur that the Night's Watch brothers were even worse.

Though some despised her presence, many of the men were grateful for the specialty taste their food now had. Castle Black was definitely not known for their chefs, but since Maia's arrival, she had decided to add her own spin to the food. The variety of herbs and vegetables she managed to add really helped the flavor of most meals. Hobb, the Watch's head chef, was impressed. They both served the food three times a day.

Maia had ended up having a brief meeting with the one and only Stannis Baratheon, who everyone thought she was a spy to kill. Like herself, the King agreed that the statement was most definitely a lie: "A scrawny woman like you could never kill me." She didn't know if that was a compliment or not.

She had some setbacks, but Maia didn't think her life behind the Wall was all that bad. She just wished she wouldn't have to stay here forever. If she thought hard enough, she could predict the future of the people around her by remembering all of Derek's history, and she didn't know if that information could make or break her.

Maia pulled a large scoop of the stew her and Hobb had brewed for that evening's feast. Leaning her hand over, she let the ladle fall into the random Watch member's bowl in front of her, causing a loud splash. "Sorry," she muttered. The man walked away with a shake of his head.