SIXTY THREE

CHAPTER 63 | EASTWATCH

JORAH Mormont was a strange type of man

JORAH Mormont was a strange type of man. After meeting the likes of his first cousion, Lyanna Mormont, Maia decided that Jorah was the exact opposite of her. He seemed very dedicated and courageous though, and Maia could see how devoted he was to Daenerys. She knew he had been with her for years, but Daenerys had informed her that he left to find a cure for his greyscale, which was the disease she remembered Shireen Baratheon having.

The more she looked at Jorah, she thought of little Shireen. They seemed to be both kind and pure souls. They were dedicated to compassion. Not to mention they both were cured of the same disease. Maia missed Shireen, and she couldn't believe it had been a few years without her. She felt the same with Gilly, whom she missed very dearly. Maia missed the times she would sit with Gilly inside Castle Black, helping her read by the fire. Gilly had been the first person Maia truly trusted, and she would forever feel the same.

A raven arrived for Jon shortly after Jorah Mormont's arrival. Maia had been standing on the shores of Dragonstone, allowing the water to just barely graze her feet. Davos was speaking with her about inventions in her world when she spotted the raven flying in her direction. Maia quickly took off her boots and ran into the water, just a bit. She met the raven where the ocean stood at her knees. The raven dropped the scroll in her hands before sailing off, back North. She knew the letter was for Jon.

And so, they held a meeting. Daenerys sat at the head of the Painted Table in her council room, with Jorah and Varys standing on both her sides. Jon stood at the other end, and both Maia and Tyrion sat uncomfortably at the table, while Davos placed himself near his king. Jon read the words of the letter addressed to him carefully, making sure he caught every word. A moment later, he looked up to say, "I thought Arya was dead. I thought Bran was dead."

"Then this should be good news," Maia lifted her head, "right?"

"I'm happy for you," Daenerys congratulated, noticing the odd look on Jon's face. "You don't look happy."

Jon folded the letter on the table. He was, indeed, happy to hear of his siblings survival; he just hated that they still had to grow up in a world that would soon be distraught by war. "Bran saw the Night King and his army marching towards Eastwatch. If they make it past the Wall –"

"The Wall has kept them out for thousands of years, presumably," Varys interrupted.

"I need to go home." Jon said, eyes then landing on Maia. "We need to go home."

Daenerys frowned. "You said you didn't have enough men."

"We'll fight with the men we have. Unless you'll join us."

"And give the country to Cersei?" Daenerys rolled her eyes. "As soon as I march away, she marches in."

"Well," Maia cleared her throat, "how about this: we try to find the closest weirwood tree and I can travel back to my world. While I'm there, I can research information and devise a plan to combat the dead."