SIXTY SEVEN

CHAPTER 67 | GOOD FRIENDS

THERE was a knock on Maia's door

THERE was a knock on Maia's door. The Traveler had been sitting on her windowsill, resting her hands on her stomach. She tried her best to feel for a kick. She felt nothing. Maia bit her lip, thinking of how her stomach wasn't growing as large as most women. Maybe this just wasn't a normal pregnancy. Maybe, in her case, it was going to be different.

She moved away from the window and to her door, pulling it open. Missandei stood on the other side and sent her a warm smile. "The Queen invites you to treat with her for dinner," she spoke eloquently.

Maia raised a brow. Truthfully, she was planning on going to bed early, though she knew she'd get no sleep. She would be up all night probably, thinking and worrying about Jon all the way beyond the Wall. Maybe this would be better for her. Maia rested a hand on the door to her left, asking, "Really?"

"Yes," Missandei nodded and gestured for her to walk. "Come with me, my lady."

Missandei led her down to the dining hall, past all the rooms on the second floor of the castle. Maia brushed her finger across the carved walls, marveling at the details on them. The whole castle was a work of art and she wondered how long it took to detail it. Missandei stopped short in front of the dining hall, signaling for Maia to step on through.

Maia gave her a smile and nod before walking into the dining quarters. There was a long table in the middle of the room, which could house around thirty guests. Daenerys sat at the head, and she rested her chin on her fist in a bored way. Tyrion was leaving when Maia entered, carrying an empty plate to the kitchens.

She stepped forward in front of a chair besides Daenerys and asked, "You requested to see me, Your Grace?"

Daenerys immediately perked up at the sight of Maia. She tapped her side of the table quickly. "Yes, yes. Please, sit."

Maia awkwardly sat in her seat, looking around the room at the décor. She would always be flabbergasted at the intricate work put into the castle.

"Do you like the carvings?"

Maia's head snapped back to the dragon queen, who she nodded to. "Yes," she agreed, "the Painted Table is my favorite piece in this whole castle."

"Mine as well," Daenerys said, allowing her wine cup to just graze her lips before she continued. "It was actually in that room that my ancestor, Aegon the Conqueror, planned his invasion of the Seven Kingdoms. Funny, isn't it?"

Maia agreed with a nod of her head.

Daenerys could feel the tension in the room. She sighed through her nostrils and lifted her glass. "I think you're wondering why I requested your presence," she thought out loud. "I feel as if we have always gotten off on the wrong foot. If I am going to work with you all, we must all be close and trusting. I want us to be good friends, Maia Sanders."