FORTY EIGHT

CHAPTER 48 | ANOTHER BASTARD

"CONGRATULATIONS, Lady Maia. I've come to the conclusion that you are with child."

The air around her shifted. Maia felt that she was getting light-headed, or was she just suddenly sick? She was going to puke – again. Everything in the whole word – her fears, her hopes, her destiny – was all going to her head at that moment and all she wanted was some pure silence and to push them out. She couldn't even look at Maester Wolkan. Gods, she should've never listened to Aletia's suggestion, for then she wouldn't be hearing the truth right in front of her.

Her nails dug into her palms. She looked down at her lap, hair covering her features as she tried her best not to cry. No, she told herself, don't you dare cry. But ... how could she not? A child? She continued to ponder. How could I care for a child? I taught children at a school back in my own world, but could I actually have my whole world revolve around one?

Maia never believed that she was made to be a mother, nor did she know what a real mother was like. She never had a good home life during her childhood, which was her reason for not talking to her parents to anyone. She moved out exactly on her eighteenth birthday. She would constantly get into fights with her parents as a teenager, and her father had extreme anger management issues, thus the reason why she stopped speaking to them once she went to college. They were always sharply critical of her, and it took her a long time to realize that they had emotionally abused her. She didn't want to be like them.

Jon was going to be wed to another – a more proper, petite woman, who had the possibility of being younger than her – and that would make her a mistress. If she even dared to bare his child during the time he was courting another woman – or even worse, after he'd marry another – she'd have his bastard. He had been treated as one for most of his life, and she knew he'd love his own children anyway, but she didn't want to bring his offspring into the world the same way. Gods, she thought, I can't bring his offspring into the world. Period.

"Is there something wrong, my lady?" Maester Wolkan asked, laying a hand on her shoulder.

Maia sucked in a sob before staring at the maester. "I ..." She didn't have any words, and found her mouth slowly closing. "I don't know if I want it," she blurted out before she could stop herself.

"Well, there are other options." The maester sighed, resting his hands in his lap. "You may take Moon Tea, which will prevent your pregnancy from growing."

She nodded, glancing over her shoulder to see the small droplets of snowflakes hit against the bars of the window. She felt Maester Wolkan hold her shoulder once again, and she met his eyes.

"You have only laid with King Jon, correct?" He questioned, to which she nodded. "Do you have any plans for marriage?"

Maia looked away. "Not exactly," she muttered.