3 ; GLORY

3 ; GLORY

"Glory to God in the highest,
And on Earth,

peace, good will toward
men."
-Luke 2:14

the boy felt power like no other as he stood to his trembling feet, eyes glowing a distant, but all-powerful, blue as images of the unexplained flashed through his head. he stared into the heavens in awe as all he saw behind his eyelids was white, — a color so pure, so full of elegance, that it seemed he would cry over something so holy.

a loud, but soothing voice called out to him, cutting off the connections of any televisions, cell phones, let alone any electrical appliances, in a 10-mile radius from his appointed spot on what now is holy ground. "xavier," it called from the air, the name rolling off of the speaker's tongue like he had said his name his entire life. although the air was thick with a presence no human had ever felt, xavier felt no difference. he could breathe just fine, in fact, he could breathe better than he had his whole life.

once the voice that could only be described as the all-father, — god, — had come to a halt, xavier nodded into the heavens, blinking his eyes to turn them back to their original crystal blue. "yes, lord." he said monotonously, taking his first step into the life of a nephilim, a sacred child of a daughter of man, and a son of god.

***

"holy shit," lilliana muttered as she childishly pushed her face into the glass casing of a pastry shop. the cashier eyed her with rolling eyes, his shift coming to an end in a couple of minutes, but the girl in front of him taking too long to order did not make the patience any better. "ma'am, could you please take your order now? there are people in line behind you, you know?" he finally snapped after watching lilliana marvel at the pastries for 5 or more minutes, and she sends a small, but impatient smile.

"could you give me a fucking minute? i've never seen this much bread my entire life." she replies, and he automatically shuts his mouth, but he couldn't tell if it was willingly, or if some sort of force was pinching his lips closed with a clothes pin. she finally made her decision, turning to face him.

"i would like to get that little buttery pecan thingy because it looks good as fuck, and oh! i want that strawberry thing, too... and! and, i want that red and orange-y one too because it reminds me of home." she said, pointing to each one with her skinny pointer finger. the cashier grabbed each one that she wanted and put them in a box, closing it up and bringing it over to ring it up. "that'll be $20.45." he said, holding his hand out, beckoning for cash or a credit card, but he only received a look of distress from lilliana.

"wait, — i have to pay for this?" she asked in disbelief, pointing to the box of pastries that she had been longing for for so long. the cashier looked at her with heavy eyes, nodding his head yes. lilliana then closed her eyes, shaking her head as she decided that killing him now wouldn't be the best time since so many people were around. "fuck," she whispered, shaking her head as she looked down at the box. "give them to someone else then. i'm broke." she shrugged, turning to walk away, but the man behind her stopped her.

"no, miss. let me pay for them, please." he offered, his smile almost contagious but repulsive all at once. she could feel the love of god radiating off of him, and she almost scowled but quickly covered it. "you-you don't mind, do you?" she asked, and he shook his head no with a smile, pulling out his wallet, reaching for his credit card. "of course not." he handed the cashier his card, and he slid it through, granting the access to take the box of pastries out of the store.

"here you go," the man said politely, handing her the box with a conceited smile, not noticing lilliana's sticky fingers taking the skinny card out of his hand as well as the box. "thank you so much, sir." she said as she backed away, slickly sliding the credit card into her back pocket as she trotted backwards, carrying the box in her hands.

she smirked as she began walking down the sidewalk, opening the box and reaching for one of the pastries, chewing proudly with a full, smiling, mouth, thinking to herself, she could get used to this.

783 words