eight

E I G H T

MY HUMILIATION WAS UNENDING.

But I shouldn't have been too surprised at this point. Fiona White seemed to be synonymous with it, because none other than Emelie Standifer was leaving Ashton's office as I came in.

"Lunch tomorrow," she asked in a sultry voice, trying but failing to pucker her lips seductively. "At my place, of course."

"Are you sure this is just lunch we're having," Ashton asked in a flirty manner, not even skipping a beat.

"You dirty dog," she said, feigning shock although she appeared thoroughly pleased with herself. I honestly couldn't blame her because Ashton Baldwin was hot ― bolded, italicized, and underlined ― and they looked great together. Even now in her skin-tight jeans and white button down blouse, she somehow perfectly complemented his dark black suit and slacks.

Of course, besides the two of them and everyone who frequented this building, no one else saw it. I had ruined her marriage inadvertently and now she was completely infatuated with my boss who was screwing her in order to secure the venue he needed for a huge event he was planning ― it was the last thing I doubted either of them wanted to get revealed to the press. In fact, besides Elijah, I had a feeling I was the only one who knew the full story behind why she was here so often.

"Well you're the one who was barking up my tree," Ashton said and it was enough to make me gag, "in fact, up and down my ― Fiona, how are you?"

My eyes were closed but I could feel both of their eyes on, making my cheeks flush hard and the fact that I looked like I just escaped a warzone made it even worse.

I opened my eyes to find that sure enough, they were both watching me, Emilie with mild humor while Ashton was clearly uncomfortable. The smug look on her face was enough to make me want to dive behind my desk and never come out, but she was blocking my way to it so all I could do is stand there and face the music.

"Hi, Fiona," she said, "I was just leaving." She walked past me, making sure not to bump into me on her way out. "Have a nice day, the two of you."

When she was finally gone, I found myself releasing a breath I had no idea I held. Ashton ran a hand through his hair and looked past my shoulder to make sure that she was actually gone.

"I don't like her - that much, at least." He shook his head before looking up at me with a half-grin on his face. "Like, she's nice to look at but she doesn't seem like a good person -"

"She left her husband," I piped up, "to be with you."

"Ah," he held up a finger to affirm this. "That is true, she's definitely not a good person. Beyond bad if you ask me."

"Then why did you do it?" I was waltzing into dangerous territory considering the fact that he was my boss and his sexual life was none of my business, but the question was nagging at me. Now it was this woman against me and I know what lead up to it (the letter, the sass, and all of that stuff), but it was still puzzling to me how he could put himself through it. How much exactly was at risk for Ashton Baldwin if he failed to acquire that venue?

He shook his head again, this time meaning business because sure enough, this was bigger than just Emilie Standifer and his sexual habits. It was strangely terrifying, how much trouble I got this man in and yet he didn't want to fire me. There seemed to be both bad guys and good guys in this mix and he seemed like he was one of the latter.

"You and I both know that I can't discuss that with you," he said. "You've caused enough trouble here on your own, little troublemaker. Who knows the damage you could do when you're armed with knowledge of things you shouldn't know?"