epilogue

Author's Note: Hey guys! Long time no see, right? Well, I'll have you know that I was against writing this for the longest time because I thought I said enough with and in this story. It was thoroughly a jab at the rich guy and poor girl trope despite its cheesiness and the lovableness of Ashton and Fiona together. Yeah, it was quirky and cute and romantic, but it had underlying purpose which kind of got in the way of me keeping up the morale in the last ten chapters like I wanted to. So alas, I thought: why not write an epilogue? One that is fluffy and cheesy and in tune with the first 20 chapters of the story that I actually enjoyed writing so much. And here we are.

Something to know:
+ This actually takes place between chapter 29 and 30, being 6 months after the events of chapter 29

-

E P I L O G U E

I WOKE WITH A START.

The room was dark and damp in an unusually humid New York City summer, and opening my eyes was a battle that I almost lost but eventually won. When my eyes were fully opened, I noticed two things that were quite peculiar: there was a note stuck to the closed window, and that I was in bed alone. Luke must've left out for work early this morning, leaving me to get ready alone. He worked in the police office, and with it being New York, his hours were pretty demanding, so I definitely understood. I just hated the week days, especially since I associated them so well with waking up to an empty bed in the year since we've been here.

Of course, I had work of my own to handle, so I couldn't waste time missing him right now. I swung my legs out of the bed, wincing a bit as my feet touched the floor with the knowledge that from here, I wouldn't be able to get anymore sleep.

I strolled into the bathroom, quickly applying toothpaste to my toothbrush and brushing my teeth like a madwoman. I honestly had to if I wanted to be on time, because I had only an hour window for preparation and the average time it took for me to pick out an outfit was at least thirty minutes.

Closing my lips around the brush and dragging it against the tops of my teeth, I hummed my way through the task with my eyes closed, the sound of the sink running filling my mind with an ease unprecedented in the rush that was this city life.

Of course that only lasted as long as it took for me to register the sound of the voice behind me saying "Damn girl, what that mouth do?"

I jumped instantly at the sound, causing me to fall forward and knock over some of the items from off of the sink onto the floor. But as my eyes flew open, the one thing I needed was right where I needed it to be. I reached for my curling iron, brandishing it like a sword as I spun around to face my attacker. And when I saw who it was, I just knew I had to hit them with it no matter what.

"Ow," Elijah yelped as he threw his hands up in defense from my next swing at him. "What the hell was that for, Fiona?"

"What do you think?" I cried, raising it to strike him again before noticing his unguarded stomach and jabbing him there. "What are you doing in my house, dammit? Answer that and you can leave in peace!"

"And if I don't," he asked, wincing at the pain.

"Then you can leave in pieces," I growled, showing him I was all work and no play about this. I loved Elijah, with all of my heart, but he couldn't just show up unannounced like this. I was lucky I slept in clothes last night really. Although it was Luke who suggested that to me, telling me it was going to be cold out, though that was obviously not true.

The pieces suddenly came together, maybe not to completion, but to a level of understanding that allowed me to calm down and place the curling iron back on the sink. "Did Luke let you in?"