twenty

T W E N T Y

WHO TO CHOOSE?

That was the question plaguing my mind ever since Ashton hung up the phone. He told me that he needed to get dressed, so in other words meaning that I had less time than I thought I did to make such an important decision. I had asked Luke, but the me that asked him awhile ago felt like a completely different person when the whole thing with Ashton firing Meredith had thrown me completely off guard.

I was at home now, taking a look through all of the dresses that I knew would compliment my tall frame while staying within the parameters of professionalism. Thankfully, I knew by my instincts that Luke and Ashton were going to wear black tuxedos anyway because that's just how guys dressed up, and I had plenty of dresses to go with what they would wear.

I just had no idea why I needed Dana, Eric, and Elijah to help me pick — which basically meant raiding my fridge and telling me what they decided made me good-looking. I guess that was all a part of having friends and while it felt incredibly invasive, it also felt good.

"Wear a see-through dress," Dana suggested before popping open yet another bottle of the wine Bretton had left. "Luke wouldn't be able to resist you and you'll soon have those strong hands all over you."

Eric — the supposedly sane one in the group — actually nodded in agreement with her too and I had to physically stop myself from melting into a puddle on the floor.

"When did I even mention Luke," I asked, throwing my hands up in desperation. "I asked you guys to help me decide on a dress, not on a date."

"But Ashton is with Emilie Standifer," Eric argued. "She was on the September Issue of Vogue. The September Issue, Fiona. No offense, but you can't compete with that, even if you are a better person than she is."

Eric bringing up that fact caused Elijah to argue with him and for Dana to hop in the middle of everything, so I used the opportunity to look into the mirror and finally have some peace — that lacked in quietness — in my life.

As much as I hated to believe it, Eric was right. If I could barely compete with her before I heard about the September Issue, then there was no way I could do it now. But Ashton's words to Meredith and that look he shot me back at the office were ringing loudly and clearly in my head, leaving me with no choice but to entertain the possibility that maybe Ashton and I could've been a good thing.

Besides, it was just this event, something completely platonic. Not even the thought of that could quell the butterflies that were begging in the pit of my stomach, but I wouldn't even be releasing them anytime soon if I went with him instead of Luke.

I knew what I had to do.

LUKE EYED ME WARILY AS WE STOOD IN THE KITCHEN AT ASHTON'S HOUSE.

"You wanted to take me to the event with you?" he asked after a minute of silence had passed between us.

"I still do," I said softly, hoping that Ashton wasn't waiting somewhere around the corner eavesdropping.

Luke looked completely confused which was not the reaction I had expected from him. I thought he would've been happier, but the straight line of his lips said everything. "Fiona, I can't go. I like you, I really do, but I can't let you throw away your chance to be with Ashton. I can't do that to you."