LWW: Chapter 1- Diggory Kirke

Aunt Polly's skirts swirl around her ankles as she walks swiftly up the steep hill. The path was narrow so that I had to stand close enough to her that with every step, her skirt brushed my ankles too. And after 527 steps, it was starting to drive me insane.

"Slow down, Aunt Polly! I can barely keep up with you. And how much farther is it to Diggory's? We've been walking for forever, it seems."

The only response I get to my question is Aunt Polly picking up her pace. I switch into a easy jog in order to keep up with her, privately thanking the harsh gym teacher back at school. Who knew old ladies could walk so unreasonably quickly. I sigh. 2480 steps later we reach the top of the hill. A house rises up among the trees. Diggory is waiting for us on the front step.

"Polly, my dear!" he cries out when he sees us.

"Oh, Diggory. How wonderful it is to see you." Polly says, as he kisses her on the cheek. I am completely ignored as they chat, so I drift off into my own thoughts. I watch Polly and Diggory and remember what my mother had told me about them. They had met as children in London and against all odds got along quite well. (My mother was born a year after they met, when Aunt Polly was 12.) I was told that at one point they considered marriage, but decided against it after realizing they would never be able to live with each other without one killing the other. Or, as they worded it, sending the other off into the "Other World." So they both laughed at their foolishness and went their seperate ways, Polly marrying and Diggory retreating to his fathers mansion. They corresponded through letters, but rarely saw each other. Then my father and Uncle George, Polly's husband were called away to war. Polly found out a week ago that Uncle George was KIA and decided to visit her old friend, dragging me along with her. I don't think either of us really wanted me to come, but Mother needed rest. So here I was. I am pulled back into the conversation when Diggory says to me. "And you must be Thalia Rose."

I open my mouth to respond but am interrupted when a middle aged woman, appears behind Diggory.

"Master Kirke," she exclaims , hands on her hips. "Are you planning on inviting your guests inside or are you going to make them spend their entire visit on the front step?"

Diggory laughs. "I was just about to invite them in for tea, Gertrude. Ladies, this is my housekeeper- Mrs. Gertrude MacCready."

"Nice to meet you." Aunt Polly and I say simultaneously. Mrs. MacCready only nods.

"Are the rooms for other guests who arrive tomorrow?" Diggory asks.

"Yes." Mrs MacCready says, stepping aside to let us in.

"I'm going to have some other guest while you stay. Four children, all siblings, fleeing the city during the War." Diggory explains as we walk towards the parlor.

"But they will not be a bother to you whatsoever." Mrs. MacCready says. "They will be absolutely forbidden from making their presence known to our guests."

I open my mouth to remind them that to an 11 year old like myself, four children would never be a bother. In fact they would be quite welcome. But before I can get a word in edgewise, Aunt Polly says, "Thank you, Gertrude." I sigh. This was going to be a very long stay.

>>>>>>*****<<<<<<

After dinner that night I retreat into my room. As much as I just love old people conversations, I had letters to write. I walk over to my suitcase sitting on the bed and opening it, take out my writing kit. I set it on the desk in the corner and sit down.

I think about who to write to first. My mother would be expecting a letter soon, but instead I choose to write to my one steady correspondent. When I was young, I lived in Finchley. My neighbors has four children, the eldest about 4 years older than me and the youngest about a year younger. I had gotten along with the two girls brilliantly, but the boy my age and I fought constantly. I was only 6 when we moved out of Finchley, but nevertheless or perhaps in spite of the fact, I insisted on writing letters to the eldest girl regularly. She never failed to return my letters and the boy and I frequently sent nasty notes back and forth to each. Perhaps it wasn't the kindest thing to do, but it sure did make me feel better after an argument with my mother. I pick up a pen and begin to write.

Dear Susan,

I am writing to you from the house of whom I believe to be the strangest man in the world.

>>>>>>*****<<<<<<

I had been staying with Diggory for two weeks when I began to wonder if he was insane. Supposedly a day after we arrived, four children from Finchley arrived at the house. But there was no hint they were in the house. Every evening, Diggory would laughingly tell us about the children's "antics" of the day, but never did we see the results of the antics, let alone see the children themselves. I was just about sure he was hallucinating the whole thing when he finally confirms his insanity. We were halfway through our tea when he says, quite seriously. "The little girl got through the wardrobe."

Aunt Polly raises her eyebrow. "Oh, really?"

He chuckles, "Yes. Met a faun and everything. The other children think she's gone mad. Did you know I kept a faun in my wardrobe, Thalia?" I assume it's rhetorical question and don't answer.

Polly sighs. "I miss the place, Diggory."

"So do I... but I suppose that our time for adventures is up."

Polly nods. "I'm too old for such things anyway."

I, of course, know that is a far cry from the truth. But I say nothing because it dawns on me. I am living with a couple of lunatics. I stand. "I think I'll go to bed now." They nod and continue their conversation of far away lands and mythical creatures.

A/N Hello!!! Thank you so much for reading. I thought I should let you know of my plans. Thalia is a character I came up with while I was bored and I promptly placed her in the world of the Pevensies because it was just where she naturally belonged. Excited about the idea of a fanfiction I spent a solid two hours with my three younger siblings discussing each plot twist and obsessing over coming up with original ideas. It means so much to me that I am actually going to be able to be able to share this with ya'll. Please comment and vote and tell me what you think! I thrive on critique.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters except for my own OC.