Chapter 18- Keep Smiling

Caspian was late. What was it with that boy and insisting on being late for important things? It was infuriating. The duel was set to begin at noon. Noon was 15 minutes ago, the duel had started and Caspian was no where to be see. At this point, I'm gripping Edmund's hand so hard I'm surprised it hasn't fallen off yet. I'm fairly certain I cut off all circulation 10 minutes ago. But he's not complaining, only muttering sarcastic responses to Peter's actions under his breath.

"Where is Caspian?" I whisper, scanning the treeline for any sign of the young Prince. Just great, another annoying monarch. What was I at now? High King Peter the Arrogant, King Edmund the Sarcastic, Queen Susan the Nag, and Prince Caspian the Late. Late for battle, late for dinner, what was next? Late for his own funeral? I wouldn't be surprised.

"Squeeze a little harder why don't ya?" Edmund teases, leaning over to whisper to me. "I've always wanted a hook for a hand. Fulfill my childhood ambition to look like a pirate." I roll my eyes. Meeting his request, I grip his hand harder, so my fingernails dig into his skin. I'm quite satisfied to see him wince.

Caspian at this moment chooses to show up, with him a certain dark haired Queen. Upon reaching, Susan immediately takes my hand and Caspian takes up his position he was supposed to be in 20 minutes ago. I scowl at him.

"Does his Highness want a respite?" Miraz snake-like voice reaches my ears. Peter looks directly at Susan, then back at Miraz.

"Five minutes?" He requests.

"Three." Miraz says in a frustrated tone. I snicker. He was probably hoping to get five minutes, but pride refused him. Peter stumbles over to us.

"Lucy?" Were the first words out of his mouth. But I notice his eyes were on my hand, which was still firmly intertwined with Edmund's. I instinctively let go.
This
"She got through with a little help." Susan assures him, looking at Caspian.

"Thank you." Peter says and I can tell from his tone of voice he means it with all his heart.

"Well you were a bit busy." Caspian jerks his head toward his uncle.

"And you were late." I scold him, but Caspian just smiles.

Meanwhile Peter's telling Susan to assume her position. "I don't expect the Telmarines will keep their word." Susan nods and gives Peter a hug before running off, causing Peter to grimace. I realize that he was much more hurt than he let on.

"Keep smiling." Edmund reminds Peter, glancing at the crowd of Narnians, which had gone mysteriously quiet. Peter raised his arms as if in victory causing the soldiers to go crazy. But as soon as he turns away, the grimace is back on Peter's face.

"I think it's dislocated." He tells Edmund, referring to his shoulder. Edmund positions himself behind Peter, his hand firmly on his brother's injured shoulder. I can practically hear him silently thanking Oreius for the medical training. Peter is too busy talking to notice. "What do you think happens back home, if you die here? You know... you've always been there for me and I never really-" Pop. Scream. Edmund sets Peter's shoulder back where it should be.

"Save it for later." He says, patting Peter on shoulder. Peter scowls at him. I laugh so Peter scowls at me too. I wink at him.

"Good luck, your Majesty." I say to him, offering his helmet to him.  He rolls his eyes and reject it. I take my place back next to Edmund. The duel starts with a clash of metal, and in spite of myself I jump. Gets me every time. Next to me, Edmund snickers. Mocking my pain. How dare he.

Peter is going at Miraz more viciously than before. Miraz is just as skilled as Peter, and as strong if not stronger, but Peter was quicker and that was the only advantage he needed.

Jumping off a rock, he ferociously descends upon Miraz. Next to me I hear Edmund whisper, "The bolt of Tash falls from above."

Smiling, I whisper back. "Does he ever get caught on a hook halfway?" Edmund outright laughs.

Peter has Miraz on his knees now. The fight is over, everyone knows it. "Respite." Miraz begs in a last ditched effort to save his own life.

Edmund groans. "Now's not the time for chivalry, Peter." And this from the boy who had once told me honor was the most important thing in life. Peter must thinking along the same lines, because he turns to give Miraz his precious respite. If he could win it now, he could win it later. As soon as Peter's back is turned, the treacherous king reaches for his sword. A scream escapes my throat.

Peter takes Miraz sword from his and sticks his own into Miraz gut. It was over. Peter stand over him, breathing heavily. He doesn't move.

"What the matter, boy?"' Miraz mocks. "Too cowardly to take a life?" After everything, he was still under estimating High King the Arrogant?

"It's not mine to take," Peter says firmly and I stare at him, almost in shock. After everything, some how I had still under estimated him as well. He offers the sword to Caspian, who accepts it, his eyes never wavering from the face of his uncle. Miraz was to die by his own sword, killed by his own blood. 

"Perhaps I was wrong," Miraz hisses. "Perhaps you do have the makings of a Telmarine king after all." The scream which escapes Caspian is inhuman. He plants his sword straight into a little patch of grass in front of Miraz.

"Not once like you. You may keep your life, but I am giving the Narnians back their kingdom."

The battle was over. Peter and Caspian turn and begin to walk, or in Peter's case, limp back towards us. I run to them and fling my arms around Peter's neck.

"You did it!" I laugh.

Peter chuckles along with me. "Did you doubt me?"

"That you could win? Never. I was afraid you wouldn't know when to stop." I pull away so I can see his face. His features were serious, but his eyes smile. "I'm proud of you, Peter." It's in the moment that I knew that, had Peter asked, I would have said yes during the Golden Age. But everything has changed since then. I pull away from Peter and to see Edmund. Our eyes meet. Everything is different. Before I can say anything though, a voice splits through the air.

"THEY HAVE KILLED HIM. THE NARNIANS HAVE KILLED OUR KING."

Yay for chapter update AND a new cover!! I'm getting addicted to this cover making thing. :-)
This whole Peter thing that I've been dealing with the past few chapters has me rather confused. It was entirely completely 100% unplanned. I wrote in his crush on her because the idea made me laugh. But somehow it worked its way into the plot. Too cliché? Idk. I may edit it out. We shall see.
FINALLY. Two chapters left in Prince Caspian. TWO. WHOOHOO. I am a writing MACHINE. Also. I have roughly 16 chapters planned for Dawn Treader. Then I have outlined the next part of her story as a separate sequel. Had no idea that was gonna happen either but you know it works. Plus I came up with a title for it I really like. But I'm not gonna reveal it til I finish Chronicles.
ANYWHOOOOO. Most likely I'll update again soon. I have the next two chapters written I just have put them ON Wattpad.
Now I must depart. Too-da-loo.
>>Adry Grace