Chapter 1: Shortcomings

Song: White Mustang, Lana Del Rey (on media section)

Sandra's POV

It's my eighteenth birthday today. I'm looking forward to it. Today I find my mate, today my life changes. I won't be the pack's whore no more. No more obsession for Mason. I get to be with my mate, always and forever, for the better or the worst. This is my day! I walk out of my room ready for school. I see Luna Samantha in the foyer of the pack house.

"Luna," I incline my head a little.

"Sandra, I already told you to call me Samantha," she says.

"That won't change all the hatred I had for you at the start," I reply.

I hated her so much because she had been taken my Mason from me. But I realized that he wasn't mine for the taking. It was just an affair. She was his mate. He was the Alpha and she was our Luna. We had to respect her.

"No, it won't but that doesn't matter anymore," she smiles. "This moment now, matters."

I nod. "I have to go."

"Okay," Samantha says. "I'll see you later, maybe?"

"Maybe," I reply.

Mason walks into the room. He nods at me and I smile back. I make my way out of the house before I can embarrass myself. As I walk towards my car, a black BMW M5, I sense someone behind me and the scent that comes with it. I inhale the smell of forest and roses. I look behind me and I see him walking towards his car. I think he sensed me because the next thing I know is that he's looking at me. I recognize who he is once he does.

He is Adam Lambert (yes, like the singer but this guy is not him). He's the pack's beta.

I'm in trouble now that we both realize that we're mates. I shake my head as if trying to shake the idea out. I enter my car before he can approach me. I drive it out of the garage and drive past him. I try to ignore the shivers running down my head to my spine but it's so damn complicated to do.

I still haven't been able to calm down by the time I get to school. When I look at the rear mirror, I realize why. The white mustang behind me gives him away.

He's driving behind me!

Why can't I get a damn break about all of this mate thing? Agh. I park into a space where I usually park in. I make sure that there's no other spaces beside me but I miss the one in front of me. Damn, I got to get out of the car fast before he sees that space. I grab my bag from the back seat and I get out of the car. I walk as fast as I can into the building before I'm being dragged to the side to God knows where.

"What the heck..." I say as I'm being taken into a classroom. "I guess no can have a conversation these days in public."

"Be a nice girl, will you?" I hear him say behind me. I stay still as I feel the shivers again.

He chuckles. "I guess I now know how to make you be still. Talking."

I hear the sarcasm in his voice. Son of a potato. I know my vocabulary is very angel but I'm trying to steer away for today. I roll my eyes at his certainty. People with high positions like to think that the world spins around them. I'm getting that vibe from Adam right now. I spin in his arms. I smile up at him.

"What am I doing here, Adam?" I ask as I don't know.

I even look round the room slowly pretending to take the room in before I look at him again. I crook my head towards the right in question. I can't hold it so I burst out laughing. He looks at me comically. I try not to laugh at his expression.

"What am I doing here, Adam?" I repeat.

"Well, sweetheart," he says. A shiver runs down my spine again.

"We both know that we're mates, right?" he continues.

"Right," I reply.

"Let's give it a try. One day," he suggests.

My eyebrow rises. "One day of what?"

"Of being mates, sweetheart," he replies.

"Okay," I say sounding confused.

"We'll be mates for one day," he says. "We'll see what tomorrow will be."

"Okay," I agree. "One day."

"Good," he says. He grabs my hand. "Let's go to class."

We walk through the door of the classroom and into the hallway. I see and feel everyone's eyes on us. Adam lifts my hand to his mouth. He plants a kiss there. I see Samantha with Mason at the end of the hall. Samantha holds a grin while Mason has a smirk on his face. I feel like they know that we are mates. It's kind of weird too.

Adam walks me to my first period class. I thank god that it's my painting class, one that I love so much. It will also distract me from Adam and out deal of being mates for one day. It's an odd deal but I hope it ends well.

"I'll see you later, sweetheart," Adam says as he lets go of my hand.

"You know my name isn't sweetheart, it's Sandra," I say.

"I know," he winks before walking away.

Then the bells rings reminding me that I need to go sit.

His lips are everywhere on me. It making me be on fire. This whole thing about being mates had been going super well. We took a stroll at the park where a girl offered to take a photo of us. It was beautiful so we went to have it printed. One for me and one for him.

I moan as he starts kissing my neck. The fire keeps burning hotter. We kept at as my legs hit frame of his bed. He pushed me on his bed and he goes after me. His mouth lands on mine again. Slowly we discard of our clothes. You might imagine what happened next. We mated. He didn't mark me. It was just sex.

The next morning, I woke up to being on my own on his bed. I heard the shower running. I smile. I hear the shower stop. I knew that he was finished with his shower. I wait for him to come out. When he does, he comes out wrap up in a towel. His wet brown hair hangs from his head.

"Get dressed," he says.

It's not the same voice he had yesterday. I feel myself go cold against the tone of his voice. I untangle from his sheets. I look for my clothes around his bedroom floor. When I get everything back on, I make my way to the bedroom door. I feel awkward in his bedroom. I open the door and I'm about to walk out when:

"Wait," he calls after me.

I turn to look at him. I wait for to tell me what he wants.

"I, Adam Clark Lambert, reject you, Sandra Elle Johnson, as my mate and other half," he says.

I feel the hurt and the anger run through me. I know I will cry and I know I will be mad. I'm not about to let him see me vulnerable but I used my anger anyway.

"I knew you would say that," I say.

I truly did. I wasn't ready for it but the hunch hit me when he told me to get dressed. I walk out of his room without saying anything else. I close the door behind. Tears make their way to my eyes but I wipe them away. I enter my room a few bedrooms down the hall. I close the door before discarding my clothes. I walk into my shower, spraying hot water on me. I stay there for a good half an hour before I walk out. I lay down in my sheet after I put on my undergarments. I bury myself in my bed. I fall asleep after I call in to school saying that I didn't feel healthy today.

~*~