Epilogue: Grief (from R&P Short Story)

Double update: Sad/happy ending :(

Song: Cherry by Lana Del Rey

Jennifer Lawrence as Kenna Lambert Johnson

Casey Cott as Michael Dunst

KENNA

Where’s Carabella?’ I mind-link my sister, Malia.

No clue. Haven’t seen her,’ she replies.

I groan as the rogue I’m fighting throws a punch to my stomach.

Someone find Carabella!’ I hear Malia say through the mind-link. ‘We can’t let them take her!

I punch the rouge on the face. He falls limp on the ground. I transform into my wolf, shredding my clothing in the progress. I mentally scold myself. That was my favorite shirt. I fight a few rouges, trying to look for Carabella in the progress. I haven’t seen her in a long time. The stubborn girl wanted to fight this battle even though the rouges were coming for her. They wanted her for her power. You see she’s an oracle and anyone would kill to have her.

The rogues continued to attack viciously. One after another launched at the pack members trying to rip their throats. Kill every single one of us. My sister, Malia, and I pounced on a rouge running on all fours towards us. We clawed at them. We used our canines. We succeeded on killing many of the rogues. We were young. Only sixteen years of age but we were the one of the best pack warriors Midnight Sun could have.

I heard the growl that made my heart stop. My sister's growl. Heart-wrenching. I jump over the rogue in my way. I found her ten feet away from me, in a pool of blood. I watched her transform into her human form. I transformed too, not giving a care in the world that were both bare. I reached her. I drop to my knees hard enough to hurt a normal human. I let out a small sob. I crawled towards her. I lifted her up some as I tried to apply pressure onto her wound. Her throat was torn. She was bleeding out. She chokes on her blood. I wasn't ready for her to go. She couldn't speak. Her tears ran down her face. Then she went limp. I no longer heard her heartbeat. The fight continued around us. I screamed in agony for my loss. Everything becomes a blur around us. Carabella was gone. They take her and I had just lost my twin. I didn’t care about anything else.

The next few days became non-existent. I wept for my sister. My parents broke down. My brother locked himself in his bedroom. Now, reality set in as I sit in the front row at my own sister’s funeral. A tear runs down my face as I watch my parents break. I watch as the rest of the pack members place white roses on my sister's casket. I didn't want to cry. I wanted to be strong. How could I do that when I felt like I'd lost half of me? I lost so much.

My parents went to the casket. My parent’s blonde hair now adorned with gray. With this past week, it seemed like they'd gotten older. I felt their pain. I was going through it too. I knew we'd never fully recover from this loss.

I know I wouldn't.

I walk up to the casket. I place my own white rose over all the others. I place my hand over the cold casket.

"I love you. I'll always miss you," I shakenly say.

My wolf whimpers. I close my eyes releasing the built-up wall of tears blurring my eye sight. I feel someone place the palm of their hand on my back. I look to my left to find Michael Dunst, my best friend, standing beside me.

"I miss her too," he whispers.

He meets my eyes. He takes my hand, the one on the casket. He places a kiss on it. I start to sob. He pulls me into his arms for a hug. I cry on his shoulder. He cries with me.

FOUR YEARS LATER

I scream in pain as I push. I grip my mates hand tightly. I hear him groan in pain as do but I shrug it off. It's not worse than my pain. He will live, I mentally say to myself.

"Ah!" I yell as I give another push.

Then I hear the first cry. The cry that tells me my baby girl is breathing. I sigh in relief. The doctor had told me the cord was wrapped around her. It had scared me but her cry was the best thing so far.

Michael beams beside me as he watches the baby and the nurses with hawk eyes. I laugh a little. The nurse brings my baby to me, setting her on my chest. The baby calms down as she bonds with me. Her green eyes wide with wonder. I lift my hand toward her, giving her my finger to grip. She makes a loose fist around my finger. I melt in joy.

"What will we name her, baby?" Michael asks above me.

I look at my baby girl for a while before coming up with a name. I look up at Michael.

"Malia," I say. "Like my sister."

"Welcome to the world, Malia," Michael whispers to our baby.

Tears rise in my eyes. This was my way of honoring my sister. I was happy that Michael went with it. He knew it had pained me to lose my sister in the battlefield. He knew of the horrible death she'd gotten. He had stood beside me every step of the way. He'd lost his best friend too. He was my emotional support. He is my mate. We found out two years ago when I turned eighteen. That was one of the happiest days of my life.

Malia would be so happy to meet her niece.

I wipe away my tears as the nurse picks up baby Malia. I watch closely as they take her away. When they leave, I close my eyes. I see the memories I have left of my sister. The big smile she'd always wear. The joy in life she had. The moments we spent with mom and dad. The time Logan and Lucy took us to the park while mom and dad went on a date. I held on to those memories. I didn't want to remember watching my twin die.

I feel Michael brush my hair with his fingers.

"Sleep, baby, it's been a long day," he says.

And I do. I would finally be happy. I had my daughter, my mate, and my family. My sister will always be in my mind and heart.

THE END.

UPDATE (March 28, 2022): There has been questions about Carabella's and Mary's stories. They are no longer available on Wattpad as I lost inspiration for them and deleted them.