Chapter 7: Frustration

SANDRA

It was only after hours ago that I told Adam that I accepted his rejection. Now, I'm here get my stuff from the hotel room where we had spent the night just this week. Adam volunteered to take me back to the hotel to get my belongings. He was quiet for the whole ride. Even now he watched me move about in silence.

I trip over the comforters hanging from the bed. I feel myself falling. Adam gets to me in a flash. I gasp. He catches me and places me upright.

"Thank you," I whisper.

"You should watch where you're going," he says sternly.

I wince. What the heck?

I look at him. My face turning sour.

"You're a díck, you know that?" I ask.

"You knew who you were getting as a mate. I'm guessing it contributed in you accepting my rejection," he says.

He's hurting. He's angry.

"So, you think that just because I accepted your rejection, something that you wanted, you can treat me like I'm so insignificant?" I ask with tears forming in my eyes.

A contraction pain radiates across my stomach. I scrunch my face in pain. I let out a breath.

"Sandra?" I hear him call my name.

I see him get close to grab me. I move away.

"Don't touch me," I sneer. "Just help me get my things to the car so we can go."

I grabbed one of duffel bags and walked out. I left the second bag in the room for Adam to take. I wanted to cry but I couldn’t. I felt like I had no more tears to give up.

***

Pain radiates in my stomach. I groan. Contractions hurt! Why didn’t anyone tell me this would hurt!? I mean I knew it would hurt but, not this much. Another contraction comes in. I can’t even get up from my bed. I exhale in anger.

“ADAM!” I yell.

I hear the rush of steps outside of my room. The door opens. An alert Adam comes in.

“What? What’s wrong?” he blurts out.

“Help me get up. These girls are ready to come out,” I sneer.

He stands at the end of my bed with eyes wide open. He doesn’t move for a whole minute.

“ADAM! NOW!” I scream. “WE DON’T HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD!”

He blinks. “Right.”

He walks over beside me. He lifts me up bridal style. He takes me out of the room. I only told him to help me up not carry me out. I mentally facepalm myself. Oh well. I was comfortable enough to not say anything in regards of it.

**

I scream.

“Sweetie, I need you to push,” I hear my sister, Melissa, tell me.

“I can’t,” I sob.

“Sandra, please,” she begs. “You need to deliver both.”

I cry because I can’t. I can’t deliver them naturally.

“I don’t know if I can. It hurts so much,” I say crying.

I feel Adam walk up beside me. He takes my hand. He moves my hair off my face. I look at him as he does so.

“Sandra, come on, baby. You can do this,” he whispers.

I shake my head. “No, I can’t.”

“Yes, you can,” he gives me a smile. “You’re the strongest women I’ve ever met. You don’t take sh*t from anything. You dealt with me even after I rejected you. You carried our children in your belly for the past six months. You dealt with everything that came with that. You can’t give up now.”

I nod and whisper, “okay.”

“Okay,” Melissa interjects. “Push now.”

I push with all the strength I’ve got.

“Okay, rest,” she says.

I take a breath.

“Push.”

I push. I feel a relief in my pelvis. I hear the cry. The cry of my baby. One of my babies.

“Well, there goes baby one,” Melissa says. She gives my baby to a nurse who brings her over to me to see.

“She’s so beautiful,” I hear Adam say.

“She is,” I reply.

The nurse takes her away to clean her up. Melissa takes my attention again asking me to push for the second baby. After several minutes, my other baby girl cries as she takes her first breathe. I feel content. Adam kisses my hand, one he’s still holding. Another nurse brings her over for us to see and takes her away. The first nurse comes with the first baby. She’s bundled up in a blanket with a small pink beanie. She sets her on my chest. The other nurse does the same with my other baby after she’s cleaned up. Underneath their beanies, their hair is a dirty blonde color. I reach forward to kiss their foreheads. Adam takes one of the girls from me.

“What are the names of the girls?” a nurse asks.

“Kenna,” I say about the one of my chest.

“Malia,” says Adam about the one he’s holding.

Not what I had had in mind but I guess that works too. I smile at the nurse.

“Kenna and Malia Lambert Johnson,” I say.

“Alright,” the nurse grins. “I’m going to need to take the girls for a check-up.”

“Of course,” I say.

The nurse takes Kenna from me first before going over to Adam to take Malia. She walks out with them both. The rest of the nurse that helped during the labor walk out as well. Melissa continues to do her thing down there. She stands after a minute or so.

“You’re all good,” she says. “We’ll have you moved to another room.”

I nod. I close my eyes as I exhale.

“You did good,” Adam says.

“Thank you,” I say without opening my eyes. “I’m not doing that again.”

Adam chuckles beside me. I let out a small laugh.

~~~~
*sighs* babies are cute 😍