Chapter 5

Merlin frantically knocked on Morgana's door, "it's Merlin."

She opened the door and quickly let him in. He smiled and raised a key to show her, "I've got the key."

She smiled, "that's perfect!"

They had agreed the previous night that they would sneak the boy out of Camelot using a secret door that led to the outskirts of the town. Unfortunately, the only way the door could be opened was with a key that only Arthur possessed. But, fortunately for them, Merlin always had the perfect opportunity to get them.

"How did you get it?" She asked, knowing that Arthur kept the keys on him at all times.

Merlin shrugged, "I nabbed them when he wasn't paying attention."

He decided that he didn't really need to go into detail about how he used magic to distract Arthur and then used magic to steal the keys.

"Where's the boy? I'm ready to go now," Merlin said to her.

"Wait, what? No, I'm coming with!"

"Morgana, I'm just a servant. No one will notice if I go missing. You're the king's ward, you could get in serious trouble for helping him."

She put a hand on his arm and looked into his eyes, "yes, but so could you! You could executed! I will only be yelled at. Uther would never execute me."

"Morgana, I don't want to take that risk."

Her expression hardened and she looked at him with determination, "Merlin, I'm coming with you, that's the end of it."

He sighed, "there's no changing your mind, is there?"

She walked to the boy and brought him to Merlin before grabbing her cloak and a dagger to put in her belt, "nope."

"Alright, come on then," he grabbed the boy's hand and nodded to the left, indicating for Morgana to follow him down the hall.

They silently lurked around the corners of the walls and slipped past the guards and into the armory. Merlin lifted a shield off its resting place and revealed a small wooden door, he grabbed the key and slipped it into the keyhole, turning it slowly and unlocking the door. He pulled it open and lifted the boy into the tunnel. He held his hand out to Morgana, "m'lady." She took his hand and climbed up into the tunnel, waiting for him to join her. They quickly crawled through the tunnels as fast as they could until they reached the edge of the town.

Merlin looked back at the castle, "Morgana, are you sure you want to do this? You've done a lot already. If you go back now, you can get inside in time and no one will see you. But if there's any delay with getting the boy back home and Uther realizes we've helped him escape, he'll most likely want us arrested."

She crossed her arms across her chest, "no, I'm not turning back now."

"You're sure?"

"Over there!"

Merlin and Morgana looked up in surprise at the sudden outburst. They watched as one of the guards ran along the castle wall.

"Right then, we best get going," Merlin smiled.

He grabbed Mordred's hand and the three ran as fast as they could to get away from Camelot.