Chapter 19

One month later

Morgana smiled as Merlin ran his fingers through her hair, gently pulling it back and braiding it for her. It had started to become a routine for them, she wasn't exactly sure when it started or how it started but now it was normal. Ever since he had escaped from Camelot's dungeons they had strangely become... more intimate with each other. Neither of them had accepted their feelings or acted on it yet, but there were moments of understanding and hidden smiles or small touches while doing a spell or braiding hair. Merlin finished just a few short moments after he had started, braiding the hair as he inserted flowers into it. Morgana raised a hand to touch the braid and smiled in delight, "thank you, Merlin."

He smiled, "of course."

Belegil looked up at her and cooed. She smiled lovingly at the dragon and it hopped up onto her shoulder. She pet it with her index finger and it hopped on her hand. She looked up at Merlin who was watching them both with a smile, "your magic is amazing, Merlin."

He smiled at her and shrugged, "I don't know, seeing the future is cool too."

She shrugged, "only when it's not a nightmare."

Merlin frowned, "I'm sorry."

She brushed it off easily, "don't worry about it. Do you have everything ready?"

Merlin nodded and handed her one of the cloaks that he had gotten. She put her's on over her simple peasant dress and pulled the hood over her head. Merlin did the same and he held out his hand. She grabbed it and laced their fingers together tightly. He squeezed her hand in reassurance and transported them to Camelot.

Just a few days ago, Morgana had had another vision. She woke up screaming and Merlin had run in to comfort her. She had immediately wrapped him in a tight hug and started to cry into his shoulder saying that she had seen Uther die in battle. A few nights later she had had the same dream. Merlin knew what this meant and suggested that they go to Camelot, secretly, for the funeral.

They arrived in Camelot almost instantly and Morgana made sure to hide Belegil on her shoulder under the cloak. She and Merlin stood behind a tree in the forest over looking the lake where the ceremony was being held. Merlin wrapped his arm around her, he knew she was hurting. Even if this man didn't trust magic, he was still like her father. She leaned in to his touch and let a few tears fall freely down her cheeks as she watched Arthur push the boat off shore sadly. The whole city of Camelot stood and watched as the boat finally caught fire. Arthur turned around sadly and gave a long speech to the citizens of Camelot, but he was too far away for Merlin and Morgana to hear him.

When the service had ended everyone left the woods except for Arthur and Gwen. Merlin and Morgana watched as Gwen walked up to Arthur and put a hand on his shoulder. Arthur brought up his hand and rested it on hers. After a moment he brought her into a hug and she kissed him.

Morgana looked back at Merlin in shock, "did you know about that?"

Merlin shook his head, eyes just as wide as Morgana's, "no I didn't."

Morgana smirked, "though I guess it was inevitable, the two have always held torches for the other."

Merlin decided to bring her down the hill. Since Gwen and Arthur were the only ones by the lake, there was no harm in saying hello. They walked up to their friends and Morgana put a hand on Arthur's shoulder, "I'm sorry, Arthur."

Arthur whipped his head around and engulfed her in a hug, which she gladly accepted with a smile. "He was like a father to you as well, Morgana."

She wiped away a tear and then pulled back from the hug, "it's good to see you again, Arthur. Even if it is under these circumstances."

Arthur nodded his head sadly and then moved to say hello to Merlin while Gwen walked over to Morgana, "it's good to see you again, Morgana."

Morgana smiled and wrapped her friend in a hug, "I've missed you, Gwen."

Gwen smiled, "and I you, my lady."

Morgana smiled and pulled back from the hug. Arthur looked at Morgana and Merlin, "so did you two come back just for this or are you here to stay?"

Morgana sighed, "we're still banished and there's a price on our heads. Remember?"

Arthur shook his head and laughed, "of course not! I'm king now, I can do as I please with your death sentence. I hereby lift the price on your heads." He added as an after thought, "and you can both come and live in the castle again."

They both smiled, "thank you, Arthur."

He smiled back, "welcome back."