Chapter 9

"Please, sire," Hunith started as she stood before King Uther, "Ealdor is doomed if we can not get any crops or protection."

"And your king refuses to help?" Uther asked, intrigued.

Hunith let out a bitter laugh, "he cares little for his people."

Uther looked down and sighed, "I'm truly sorry, but to send my own soldiers into his kingdom would be an act of war."

She sadly nodded, "I understand, your majesty."

Arthur led her out of the hall so that his father could work in peace and she thanked him for getting her and audience with the king.

"I believe Gaius asked for you," she told him quietly.

Arthur raised an eyebrow and nodded slowly as he watched her walk away and back through the gates of Camelot. He turned on his heels and walked down the left corridor until he reached Gaius' chambers. He knocked on the door twice.

"Come in."

"The lady said that you wanted to see me?"

Gaius turned towards him and smiled, holding out the parchment, "yes, she asked me to give you this."

"And she couldn't do it herself?"

Gaius shook his head, "she didn't know if she would be able to see you, so she decided that she would like me to deliver it for her."

Arthur nodded and took the piece of parchment from Gaius' hand. He slowly opened it and raised an eyebrow when he saw that it was from Morgana.

"Dear Arthur," the letter said, "Merlin and I are safe, so no need to worry. I trust that you will not tell Uther of our whereabouts. We're currently in Ealdor, living with the woman who you met today. Her village has been attacked by raiders. I'm sure Uther has no intention of sending armies to help, for it would mean war. So I'm asking you as a friend, please help. We don't need very many people, we just need someone who can teach the men how to at least hold a sword, they won't listen to me. If you won't come and help for me, come for Merlin. His village needs you. Even though we've had our disagreements, I truly believe that you'll do the right thing. Signed, Morgana."

Arthur folded up the parchment and placed it in the pocket of his red jacket. "Thank you, Gaius," he said as he exited the room and made his way to the armory.

He had a village to save.

* * *

"Uther has refused to help," Hunith said as she closed the door to her hovel behind her.

Morgana groaned, "that is so like him."

"How was your journey?" Merlin asked as he looked up from his dinner.

Hunith nodded, "not terrible, I had to sleep on the ground, but that's not very different than normal."

Merlin gave her a small smile.

"The parchment I gave you was a letter to Arthur," Morgana started to explain, "trying to persuade him to help. Hopefully he'll prove that he has honor as a knight."

Merlin sighed, "well, we can hope."

Morgana stood up and took her dishes and set them in the sink, "I think I'm going to turn in for the night. Goodnight."

Hunith and Merlin both smiled at her in response. Hunith walked over to Merlin and sat next to him on the chair next to him, "have you told anyone about your gift?"

Merlin shook his head, "only Gaius, he's been helping me."

She nodded, "that's good. You mustn't tell anyone, otherwise you risk being executed."

Merlin gulped, "believe me, I know the risks."

Hunith looked around and smiled, "but since we're the only ones here, could you show me what you've been learning?"

Merlin grinned and nodded. He turned towards the fire that was lit in the fire place and raised his hand, "Celeb Elenath." His eyes flashed gold and the sparks of the fire danced around each other and formed a dancing silver star.

Hunith smiled in delight and awe and looked at her son, "it's beautiful! What else can you do?"

Merlin held his hands out towards her and whispered, "Luin tuilë." Hunith let out a small laugh as she watched a small blue flower bloom in the palm of his hands. He picked it up and held it out to her and she held it.

"Your gift is wonderful, Merlin. I can't wait for the day when people embrace magic. Think of all the beauty that you could create!"

Merlin smiled, "hopefully when Arthur is king things will be different. But then again, he shares a lot of his father's beliefs."

Hunith put a comforting hand on his shoulder, "everything will turn out alright, my son. You'll see."