Chapter 5 - Instinct

"So you're actually going through with it?"

Nadie sat across from Humfrey in the lunchroom, absent-mindedly sketching on a piece of scrap paper. Humfrey nodded eagerly, taking out a piece of leftover chicken.

"Yup. Two more days and I'm outta here. Just me and Atikaki Provincial Park for a glorious twelve days. It'll be great!"

I'm sure it will be. I've been there plenty of times before! Nadie brushed a few crumbs from her drawing, and signed her name on the corner, completing the picture. Without a doubt, once she got home, it would join the dozens of other sketches tacked onto her bedroom wall.

Her eyes flicked up, catching sight of Humfrey ogling her picture. His face flushed. "That's pretty good! You should really submit your art, I'm telling you! That's talent, right there!" he sputtered quickly.

Thanks. She rolled her eyes at him. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. What can I say, I grew up living pretty much right next to a river. Not a whole lot to do, other than enjoy the view and draw." But seriously, thanks.

It was so strange, almost to the point of being aggravating, knowing that Humfrey was going to be in the same park as her beloved wolves were. They would never touch him; after all, he was an outsider. He wasn't Ojibwe; he would be safe. Yet, she still found herself biting her tongue, unable to tell him what he would possibly be exposing himself to.

Of course, she'd already told him once before--she would never forget that night, even if he had. Seeing him everyday, watching him keep himself in check had been torture. Whatever emotions or desires he felt, he kept sheathed beneath his shy exterior; but, being as observant as she was, Nadie had seen right through it.

She hadn't had to bite her tongue only in regards to the wolves; many times, she'd almost wanted to scream at him, and tell him that she knew how he felt.

While she'd ultimately chosen to keep her mouth shut on the subject, she had, in fact, inadvertently made it obvious that she knew something about him. He'd caught her staring at him blankly more than a few times, waiting for him to tell her; she'd actually been beginning to worry that it was creeping him out, until, being Humfrey, he'd flat out said it.

"Why do you keep doing that?"

She'd blinked innocently. "Doing what?"

"Staring at me like that? I mean, did I do something wrong?"

Nadie had smirked. You're hopeless. "Ha! Nope."

"Well, than what's gong on? You're starting to freak me out!" He'd eyed her suspiciously for a moment, and it was then that Nadie knew that she wasn't the only one who could see through other people's walls. He knew that she knew something, even if she never said anything about it. Nadie had prayed that he would eventually remember what he'd said; even though it would mean that he'd remember everything that she'd told him about the wolves, it would be worth it. Besides, she trusted him. He would never share a secret like hers with anyone.

The boy really knew how to keep his mouth shut.

It was exasperating.

Nadie slipped her drawing back into her sketchpad, and flipped the booklet closed. The two of them would be gone from work at the same time; him for two weeks, and her, for a month. Spring had sprung, and she'd been looking forward to returning to Bloodvein for months already. She wouldn't miss the city; no, she was going to enjoy herself out there.

But, she would miss him.

It was ironic, really. He would be in Atikaki, and she'd be literally just up the river, only a handful of miles away. She fully intended on taking at least two canoe trips into the park during her stay in Bloodvein; and, while she didn't really expect to run into him out there, it would definitely be a pleasant surprise for the both of them. Nadie had never actually told Humfrey where she was from; 'I'm from up north'  had apparently been good enough for him.