Chapter 13 - Burn

Nadie peered through the darkness, doing her best to keep her tired eyes on the timberwolf in front of her. Sarah trotted along through the night, gently swishing her tail back and forth as though she could see exactly where she was going.

"Can you stop that?" Nadie growled quietly, blinking her eyes and forcing them to adjust.

"Stop what?"

"Flickin' your tail around like it's Canada Day."

Sarah turned around, her eyes catching some of the moonlight and momentarily glowing as a result. "Oh come on! We're almost there. I'm so  sorry if I'm a little happy about that!"

Are you kidding me?  Nadie slowed, and shot a glance back at Hutch, who was trailing closely behind her. He only shrugged in return, evidently as confused as Nadie. "Sarah...you really have no idea who this doctor is, do you?"

"Nope. Never met him or seen him before! Why?"

"You do realize that this is the same man who destroyed your home, right?"

As if on cue, Sarah's constantly-wagging tail finally stilled, and although she didn't turn around, Nadie saw her back tense up ever so slightly. "Right."

Nadie huffed out a sigh through her twitching nose. It wasn't that she wanted Sarah to be miserable and dour like the rest of them, but clearly, the timberwolf girl had no idea what she was leading her friends into.

"We're almost at the edge of Gyles Lake," Sarah mumbled, leading the three direwolves out from the shelter of the forest. Ahead lay a flat, grassy expanse, ending about a hundred meters away in the placid, mirror-smooth waters of the lake. A full moon was perfectly reflected on the water, and for the first time since the sun had set, Nadie realized just how bright the night actually was, thanks to the moon.

Hutch cut in front of Nadie, deliberately bumping her aside with his shoulder. "Remember what I said, Nadie. Stay behind me." He padded on ahead of her, leaving Nadie to walk alongside Tara.

Hutch cleared his throat and addressed their guide. "Where exactly is this lodge, Sarah?"

"Oh, we're not there just yet. We're only on the eastern tip of Gyles right now!" Sarah pointed in the moonlight at the shoreline. "We've gotta follow the beach west for about a kilometer before we get to the lodge...what the heck?"

Sarah darted forward, passing through the dried grasses silently. Hutch let out an annoyed growl and followed after her.

"Sarah sure doesn't seem to like finishing her sentences," Tara muttered. Nadie couldn't help but laugh.

"Seems that way. I'm not really sure what she's doin' right now..."

The two Omegas followed the Alphas around a bend in the shoreline, than slid to a halt as the grassy shore became a rather muddy beach.

Sitting only a few feet away from the shore, hung up on a glistening red rock jutting out of the water, was a silver-skinned float plane. The minuscule waves that were present lapped gently at the pontoons of the plane, and Nadie caught sight of two thick, braided cords, hanging loose from the aircraft's struts, each of which had a frayed, torn end dangling into the black water below.

Both Hutch and Sarah silently flipped into defense mode, perking their ears up and letting their tails hang down cautiously. Their black noses twitched in the air and their eyes darted around, glowing in the moonlight occasionally.

"This doesn't make any sense," Sarah murmured. "The lodge is still a few minutes away."

"Maybe whoever owns the plane just parked it here?" Tara ventured. Sarah shook her head.