Chapter 10 - Part 2: Sarah

A/N: Trigger warning --

Thud!

"Psst!"

Nadie let her eyes open lazily, and wiped at her face groggily. Did I fall asleep? How did I manage that?  It was still freezing in the room, and she was still sans clothing.

Thump!

Her ears twitched as something in the room adjacent bumped in the darkness. Humfrey's hushed voice sounded once again in her ears.

"I think Hutch is escaping!"

Nadie's eyes snapped open fully, flicking up to her friend. He was sitting in his cage, crouched down on his feet with wide eyes.

Humfrey cocked his head, listening to the sounds coming from Hutch's room. Something was going on--had he managed to find a way out of his prison?

Thank goodness!  Nadie pulled herself up, feeling her heart beginning to race inside her chest. The thought of freedom was exhilarating, even if it meant that they would be back outside in the cold. Ha! It's not really much better in here, though, is it? It can't be more than five degrees in here!  Her eyes slipped down to her bare, furless skin.

We're gonna either have to shift, or find something to wear before we get out of this place. And I sure as heck don't want to spend another two days to shift in this bloody place--

From beneath the stainless steel door, an eerie blue light flickered along the floor, briefly reflecting off of the concrete from the hallway outside.

Humfrey shuddered in his cage, his eyes bugging out of his skull. "There's someone outside!" he hissed in horror, as yet another thump!  sounded from Hutch's room.

He's gonna give himself away. Oh my word, what if they catch him?  There was no way the timberwolves here would take too kindly to their prisoners trying to escape!

The muffled sound of a door being pulled open filled the air, and Nadie stifled a gasp. From beyond the wall, Hutch let out a surprised snarl. Three distinct, new voices filled the air, sounding through the walls and quite clearly ignoring Hutch's angry growls.

"Is that him?" a young man's voice asked, and Nadie cocked her ears silently, not daring to even take a breath as she listened in. Is that who?!?

A new voice answered, this time sounding older. "No, this is the wrong bloody room!"

The wrong room? What? Humfrey and I are in the only other room here...

Nadie's eyes slid over to her friend in horror. There are only two males present in these two rooms. Hutch...and Humfrey.

And they aren't looking for Hutch.

The younger voice called out excitedly. "Hey, he's breakin' the cage!"

"Oh, fer cryin' out loud, you stupid little--"

Metal clanged, and Hutch yelped, before letting out a blood-curdling scream. It was terrifying enough to make Nadie's heart stop in her chest--she'd never heard Hutch cry out like that.

No one had. The Alpha had always been, more or less, invincible to pain.

Oh my word, what did they do to him?

Tara's frantic, slurred voice called out. "WHY DID YOU DO THAT TO HIM?"

The cold, heartless voice of the older timberwolf answered her bluntly. "Shut up. You'll wake the whole neighborhood, you bastard!"