Revenant

There was only darkness.

I kicked and screamed, flailing my legs and arms out, trying desperately to grasp at something, anything to give me a sense of location.

I couldn't see my own hand in front of my face. I waved it around, feeling the wind over my eyes as it passed by, but my eyes themselves registered nothing.

It was suffocating.was suffocating. The darkness was so complete, so close that I could almost feel it on my skin.

My skin? What about my fur?

Am I human right now?

...Have I finally gone and died?

It was hot.

It wasn't a pleasant heat, either. It was stifling; the kind of hot that would make one feel like the oxygen had been sucked out of their lungs. Coupled with my growing claustrophobia, I was just about ready to jump out of my own skin.

Where am I?

"Hnnnnahhh!"

I froze in place as the moan filled the air around me. "H-hello?"

"..."

Something shuffled noisily, and I twisted myself around in the darkness, listening. Someone, or something was breathing heavily--and it sounded like it was right next to me.

"Is anyone there--AHH!" A hand wrapped around my foot, and I let out a scream.

"It's...you!!"

I kicked with all my might, feeling my heel impact something soft and warm. Whatever was holding on to me cried out in pain and released my foot.

I wasted no time. I scurried forward, mashing my face into an unseen wall. Real smart, Humfrey. If you are dead, everyone else here is laughing at you.

I held out an arm and began feeling my way forward through the blackness. I didn't know if I was, in fact, human, but in the absence of any light, my mind was too confused to be able to properly discern what I was.

The creature behind me growled again, filling the cramped darkness with an inhuman, throaty sound. I picked up my pace, feeling along the wall as I crawled. The ground below me seemed to slope down, and a minute later, I could feel ice cold water droplets plinking down onto my brow from above. I stopped for a moment, letting a few of the cold drops soothe my skin--the air around me was still quite warm.

"AwooooooAAHHHH!"

Another terrifying howl echoed around me, and I felt my heart begin to pound. The ground beneath my feet suddenly turned slick, and I felt myself sliding down the incline until I ground to a halt in a puddle of cold water.

I can see!!

I rapidly blinked my eyes, looking at the way ahead. Dim, grey light filtered down from up ahead, illuminating the walls of a long, up-sloping concrete tunnel. A tunnel. Well, I guess that makes sense. I was in a tunnel--part of my mind almost dared to believe that I was in the same tunnel I had been in when the Gyles lodge had collapsed.

Maybe I'm not dead after all.

I looked down, surprised to find that I wasn't human, either. Sitting submerged in six inches of murky water at the low point of the tunnel, I could still see my paws and furred limbs.

I'm still alive. An' I'm still a wolv. I shot a glance behind me, back into the inky blackness of the tunnel. What happened? I thought that I was trapped back there by that set of metal bars! How did I get past them? Did Machk break through 'em after all?