Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Gigi and her friends huddle around the stereo, their drunken giggles becoming louder as the seconds turn into minutes. Apparently changing the song takes not one, but three people. Aaaand based on the fact that the same song is still playing, it appears they need a fourth.

I swipe my drink and walk towards them. My quads are still killin' me from practice. I'm not much of a drinker, but I'm hoping the more alcohol I have the less I'll notice the muscle aches screaming throughout my body.

"Move," I say to Gigi when I reach the speaker. "I'll do it."

Gigi turns to me, her cheeks red and her eyes hazy. Her friends turn to me too and giggle behind their hands.

"Why are you gaaaaay?" a feminine voice whines close to my ear.

Gigi elbows her friend. "Don't hate! He's like – the best wing man ever for me!"

Her friend lets out a dramatic sigh and eyes me from head to toe. She pays extra attention to my torso and my ass. "But he's so pretty. You know, Aiden, if you ever want the softer, sweeter side of things, you can allllllways knock on my door. Anytime!"

I change the song and give her friend a forced smile. "I'll keep that in mind."

Not.

It's not that women don't appeal to me. I still think one is hot from time to time, but on the whole they just don't have that special something to get my little man reporting for duty. I finish off my drink and throw my cup in the trash. True to form, even shooting from this short distance brings out the basketball player in me.

"Nice shot."

A familiar looking face moves into the space where Gigi was standing just moments ago. He runs a hand through his dusty, blonde hair and smiles. A single dimple nestles in the crevice of his left cheek, and seeing it is enough to jog my foggy memory.

"I don't think I've actually introduced myself," he says and sticks out his hand. "I'm Casper. Casper Johnson."

I shake his hand, and the roughness of his palms confirms my initial thoughts. He's on the basketball team – the other starting forward, if I remember correctly. There's a certain feel to basketball player's hands. That makes me sound feminine as hell, but seriously, there is. Gigi used to tell me all the time, but I never believed her until I felt Bobby's hands slide down the front of my stomach for the first time last summer.

And yea – that's just as sexual as you're imagining it to be. Bobby wasn't just my best friend. He was my first too. First time lover, first time romance, and all the other bullshit that comes along with it. I'm over it though, for the most part.

Alright, alright. I'll level with you; there's a whole hell of a lot more to the story, but who wants to rehash depressing shit like that? Plus, with all the alcohol pumping through my veins, I'll be way too close to the wet horror most people refer to as tears if I start heading down memory lane.

"Are you drunk already? Or am I just that boring?"

I refocus my gaze on Casper, his light eyebrows pinching together with genuine concern.

"No, sorry man. It's good to formally meet you."

Casper's face relaxes and he gives me a soft smile. "You too. Great job at practice tonight. You've got some heat at the hoop."

I haven't been complimented on my basketball skills since I moved to this shit hole of at town. The students back at my old high school used to praise me on my talent on a daily basis. The teachers did too, come to think of it. It was like I could do no wrong in their eyes. It's safe to say I got a bit of an ego; but hell, wouldn't you? My ego was stroked on a daily basis, and I couldn't help but lap up every bit of it.