Chapter 21

Chapter 21

After giving Gigi a quick hug and peck on the cheek, Momma T hugs me around the waist, squeezing me so tightly I gasp for air when she finally lets me go. Her thick, curly brown hair falls in waves around her shoulders. She brings her hand up to my face, brushing the backs of her fingers against my left cheek.

"It's so good to see you, Aiden," she says, and her voice is full of warmth and love. "You grow more and more handsome every time I see you."

I can feel Bobby's eyes still on me with every move I make. He's just a few feet away from me, and it's the closest I've been to him since the day I ended things between us. Just remembering those final moments cause every one of my limbs to tremble. If Momma T can feel me shaking, she doesn't mention it. She simply lowers her hand to give my arm a reassuring squeeze before dragging me into the house.

The smell of Bobby's cologne fills my nose, bringing with it years of nostalgic memories I wish I could forget. I stuff my hands into my pockets, suddenly regretting not sticking out the last few hours of school.

"Hey Gigi. How's it goin'?"

Bobby's voice causes an immediate lump of tears to form in the base of my throat, tears of both anger and sadness. That's such a typical Bobby thing to do too - act as if nothing has happened and seeing Gigi is as normal as pouring a bowl of cereal.

"Bobby," Gigi replies flatly. "Nice to see you again."

Bobby moves in to give her a hug, but Gigi side-steps his efforts and gives him a cold stare. I never told Gigi what happened with Bobby and me, but since our families were so close, it didn't take long for the news to travel through the grapevine. After seeing how the whole situation affected me, she swore up and down she'd never forgive him until my heart had healed. Looks like we still have a ways to go before that happens.

Gigi reaches back to grab Momma T's hand and then looks at me. "I'm going to go make some brownies with Momma T. If you need anything, come get me, ok?"

With very little protest, Momma T follows Gigi into the kitchen where I'm sure my mom is waiting. It's unlike my mom not to bust my chops for ditching class, but perhaps Momma T's relaxed attitude is wearing off on her. Either that or she knows seeing Bobby at my house will be punishment enough.

Touché, Mom, touché.

Eventually their feminine voices pick up in the kitchen, signaling the all-clear to finally talk with my ex. Bobby opens his arms and raises his eyebrows in silent vulnerability.

"I'm assuming if your sister stiffed me for a hug, you'll do the same thing," he says cautiously. "But I'm still offering one up if you'll have one."

I fight off every one of my muscles wanting to move forward and sink into his arms. My jaw tics from the effort and I eventually shake my head.

"Nah, I'm good man."

Bobby grimaces, pulling his hands back to his sides. "Figured. It's good to see you, Aiden."

I shift the weight of my body back and forth from foot to foot. This is incredibly uncomfortable. Beads of sweat start forming across my palms, and suddenly the need to get him out of my house as soon as possible becomes overwhelming.

"Why are you here, Bobby?"

Bobby recoils from the blunt question and gives a wary glance towards the kitchen. He tilts his head back slightly, trying to find the right words to say.

"Would you mind if we went somewhere? I have a lot to say to you and I just...can we grab a bite to eat real quick?"

If it means getting him out of here sooner, who am I to say no?